1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Kandy

Lily Bulbils

I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first year (2016) they appear to do nothing but in fact under the soil they are setting their roots out. Two...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first year (2016) they appear to do nothing but in fact...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JJ28

Just wondering

Hi JJ,Now is the perfect time to sow any of the Dianthus family ( Carnations, Pinks, Sweet Williams, Lychnis).Just grow them on and plant out in their permanent positions around Sept/...
    Hi JJ,Now is the perfect time to sow any of the Dianthus family ( Carnations, Pinks, Sweet Williams, Lychnis).Just grow them on and plant out in their permanent positions around Sept/ Oct.They're really easy, no fuss plants to grow.
    Hi JJ,Now is the perfect time to sow any of the Dianthus family ( Carnations, Pinks, Sweet Williams, Lychnis).Just grow them on and plant out in their permanent positions around Sept/ Oct.They're really easy, no fuss plants to grow.
    Hi JJ,Now is the perfect time to sow any of the Dianthus family ( Carnations, Pinks, Sweet Williams, Lychnis).Just grow them on and plant out in their permanent positions around Sept/...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Beckie76
    Like x 9

Front porch turns into nursery!

I find it best to be less specific "I'll move them out at the weekend" you might get away with another couple of weekends indoor growing :fingers crossed:
    I find it best to be less specific "I'll move them out at the weekend" you might get away with another couple of weekends indoor growing :fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JackJJW

Droopy Lupy(ins)

As Jazz has said 'Snow Pixie' is unusually an annual, not a perennial. Jack, I'd remove the Lupin's from the light box as it's probably to hot in there and then treat them the same as any other...
    As Jazz has said 'Snow Pixie' is unusually an annual, not a perennial. Jack, I'd remove the Lupin's from the light box as it's probably to hot in there and then treat them the same as any other annual. Grow them on in as much light (but not full sun) as possible and then harden them off...
    As Jazz has said 'Snow Pixie' is unusually an annual, not a perennial. Jack, I'd remove the Lupin's from the light box as it's probably to hot in there and then treat them the same as any other annual. Grow them on in as much light (but not full...
    As Jazz has said 'Snow Pixie' is unusually an annual, not a perennial. Jack, I'd remove the Lupin's from the light box as it's probably to hot in there and then treat them the same as any other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Wardy

Chilean Guava (Ugni Molinae)

Chilean guavas apparently used to be Queen Victoria's favourite fruit, so they grow well in the English climate and are hardy to about -10C.That's all I know as I haven't actually ever grown them...
    Chilean guavas apparently used to be Queen Victoria's favourite fruit, so they grow well in the English climate and are hardy to about -10C.That's all I know as I haven't actually ever grown them before.
    Chilean guavas apparently used to be Queen Victoria's favourite fruit, so they grow well in the English climate and are hardy to about -10C.That's all I know as I haven't actually ever grown them before.
    Chilean guavas apparently used to be Queen Victoria's favourite fruit, so they grow well in the English climate and are hardy to about -10C.That's all I know as I haven't actually ever grown them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. the garden gnome

Soil question????

Hi there.You say your soil is slightly acidic, so I would assume it has a PH of around 6.5? And, when you say you want to bring the PH down, you mean you want it more acidic?
    Hi there.You say your soil is slightly acidic, so I would assume it has a PH of around 6.5? And, when you say you want to bring the PH down, you mean you want it more acidic?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. philomel

Yay the Primula vialli are coming up

Thanks M, yes they're rather unusual aren't they? :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. philomel

Euonymus cuttings

thankin' you kindly M :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Nomi

Help! Seedlings dying

Welcome to GC Nomi. :) Unfortunately seed packet instructions are only guidelines. Starting seeds in February, unless they need a long germination period is pointless as the light is still so low...
    Welcome to GC Nomi. :) Unfortunately seed packet instructions are only guidelines. Starting seeds in February, unless they need a long germination period is pointless as the light is still so low and there's not enough daylight hours. This is why the seedlings grow leggy. I rarely start any seeds...
    Welcome to GC Nomi. :) Unfortunately seed packet instructions are only guidelines. Starting seeds in February, unless they need a long germination period is pointless as the light is still so low and there's not enough daylight hours. This is why...
    Welcome to GC Nomi. :) Unfortunately seed packet instructions are only guidelines. Starting seeds in February, unless they need a long germination period is pointless as the light is still so low...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. IceColdRum
    Like x 3

Big Sunflowers

Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and...
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and also the starting of 'Mongolian Giant'Sent on the go from my telephone
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and also the starting of 'Mongolian Giant'Sent...
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. philomel

Hibiscus trionum

That's good to know :dbgrtmb: Thanks again @longk :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Lolimac
    Like x 6

New to me...

Florists use it for cut flowers - really odd feeling stuff when dry
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JackJJW

Temperatures?

I start most of my seeds in a heated propagator and as soon as they show I remove them as the heat makes them grow rapidly. Mine are now in a light bedroom with a background heat of 17/18C and no...
    I start most of my seeds in a heated propagator and as soon as they show I remove them as the heat makes them grow rapidly. Mine are now in a light bedroom with a background heat of 17/18C and no heat overnight. It's not warm enough yet to put them into a greenhouse or cold frame Jack. Mine...
    I start most of my seeds in a heated propagator and as soon as they show I remove them as the heat makes them grow rapidly. Mine are now in a light bedroom with a background heat of 17/18C and no heat overnight. It's not warm enough yet to put...
    I start most of my seeds in a heated propagator and as soon as they show I remove them as the heat makes them grow rapidly. Mine are now in a light bedroom with a background heat of 17/18C and no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. TheFitGardener

Seedlings domant ?

Too early. The heat of the house has got them to germinate and now that they're out they've discovered that there is sod all decent light. As the days lengthen hopefully they will wake up.
    Too early. The heat of the house has got them to germinate and now that they're out they've discovered that there is sod all decent light. As the days lengthen hopefully they will wake up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. marjoriesseedling

Ventilation and propagation

Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted...
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted seeds :)
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted seeds :)
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sarah Giles

Reusing propagator soil?

It's not that serious, but it's surprising how much compost you get through when filling seed trays and pots. :)
    It's not that serious, but it's surprising how much compost you get through when filling seed trays and pots. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sheal

Heuchera

I have Heuchera seeds in compost in a heated propagator, can somebody tell me roughly how long they will take to germinate please.
    I have Heuchera seeds in compost in a heated propagator, can somebody tell me roughly how long they will take to germinate please.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. IceColdRum
    Like x 3

Seed Filing System?

Lynda, I always smile when people say they are jealous but believe me, although we love the TT and the life it brings to the island it's a two week nightmare. The road closures create havoc to our...
    Lynda, I always smile when people say they are jealous but believe me, although we love the TT and the life it brings to the island it's a two week nightmare. The road closures create havoc to our everyday lives and even worse if like me, you live on the course. We have to go through it all...
    Lynda, I always smile when people say they are jealous but believe me, although we love the TT and the life it brings to the island it's a two week nightmare. The road closures create havoc to our everyday lives and even worse if like me, you...
    Lynda, I always smile when people say they are jealous but believe me, although we love the TT and the life it brings to the island it's a two week nightmare. The road closures create havoc to our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. LyndaG

Datura - Purple Moonflower

Thank you for all the useful information John. I had looked online and seen that they were poisonous, so am being careful. Didn't realise they were tender though, but I have a big cupboard which...
    Thank you for all the useful information John. I had looked online and seen that they were poisonous, so am being careful. Didn't realise they were tender though, but I have a big cupboard which is covered in plants in the spare room so I will pop them in there when the leaves appear out of the...
    Thank you for all the useful information John. I had looked online and seen that they were poisonous, so am being careful. Didn't realise they were tender though, but I have a big cupboard which is covered in plants in the spare room so I will...
    Thank you for all the useful information John. I had looked online and seen that they were poisonous, so am being careful. Didn't realise they were tender though, but I have a big cupboard which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jason85

What are you up to today

Total cost on the decking is £65 so far, when I'm done I'll put on a post so everyone can do a diy deck and I'll explain how I done it
    Total cost on the decking is £65 so far, when I'm done I'll put on a post so everyone can do a diy deck and I'll explain how I done it
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice