1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

1st post

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Newgardener2020, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Newgardener2020

Newgardener2020 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. I hope you’re all well.

This year is the 1st time I am doing a vegetable garden. I have made 3 raised bed and have a decent variety in there.

I am still very much a new gardener though and learning every step of the way.

I had some wood left over and made this with some trellis I was gives. I’m thinking peas? Or would it be suited better to something else?

cheers

FAD16EFB-C65A-4602-A6FC-14AF375F5ADE.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,509
      :sign0016:

Nice trellis you've done a cracking job :dbgrtmb: . Is the trellis going on hard stand surface like flags ? other wise you don't need the bottom wood . Might be an idea to line the inside with some plastic ( like old compost bag etc ) so it don't rot as fast.

Peas sound good to me or french beans , I don''t grow much veg but many forum members can help you out on that :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Looks to be about 5' tall, or more? Peas will only do about 3', at best, so I would be inclined to grow Climbing Beans instead. They will grow 6' ... and some :) and they produce all Summer long, whereas Peas have a shorter harvest season. less prep-work for Climbing Beans than Peas too ... I think way too much effort to shell peas ... but that is me.

Either Climbing French beans or Runners, whichever you prefer. Or a few of each ... French will start quicker and give up a bit before first frost. Runners will keep going until first frost (bit of a generalisation)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,946
        That’s is a really nice planter. And I agree with Kristen. Just intercroP with something like radish whist waiting for beans to get going.

Rusty

• Agree Agree x 1