1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

3 1/2 week old turf patches

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Matty8895, May 31, 2021.

1. Matty8895

Matty8895 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope i’m posting this in the correct place.

A few weeks ago I laid some turf in my back garden, it grew quite fast and was a nice dark green colour and was rather thick. I gave it its first cut 2 days ago with my grass cutter on the highest setting and made sure the blade wasnt blunt. Afterwards it looked alright, was a nice length and still had colour and I didnt really notice any issues. Today ive come home from work and noticed some patches straight away, unsure if ive just totally missed them on saturday but today they were really noticeable, in places the grass seems a bit thinned out which I guess seeding will solve but the patches have puzzled me. Could it be a lack of water as the rain has stopped and I toned it down to once every few days and the weather has been really hot and sunny? I will post a photo below but i think it looks worse in person than on the photo. Should I just throw some seed down and water each morning to fix the patches? Any help appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Think I'd just make sure it stays damp during this warmer dryer spell we are having.
    You need to keep it growing.
    If it dries out you might not get it going again until autumn, by which time it could look pretty bad.

3. Matty8895

Matty8895 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if maybe ive scalped it with my mower? Ive watched a few videos and it would seem the highest level on my mower isnt as high as people recommend. I am going to keep watering to keep it damp but weve had bad rain up until late last week so its seen plenty water, also dont want to overwater it. ive popped some seed on the areas where its went a bit bald and will just have to keep it wet and see how I go. The rest of the lawn, particularly the edges look great so hope this is just a blip. Im assuming if I have scalped some areas I just stay patient and with water they should come back to life?

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi, it’s hard to see what’s going on with the photos and looking at it in person is always best.

are these patches growing in size?

Have a very close look at the grass and see if there are white strands or red or pink tops on the tips of the grass.