1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Schoolgirls who have gone to Syria

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Feb 22, 2015.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,050
    Not my experience I'm afraid, maybe it's the school I went to but some of the kids were pretty rough and gave the teachers a very hard time physically and verbally (not me of course), there were stand up fights at one time. We had corporal punishment then but it was no deterrent. I think kids are a bit more open now-a-days, with lots of individual exception as in this case.

Anyone who has had children will know that once they reach a certain 'Kevin' age they take absolutely no notice of their parents and some actively do the opposite to what they are told. They are influenced by their friends, in the old days at least you had some idea who their friends were, now with the internet you have no idea.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Good god yeah! When the lake froze over the last thing that our parents said when they went to work was "don't go down the lake today". It would appear that everyones parents had said the same thing as by lunchtime we were all riding our bikes on it!

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,951
        Yes me too!!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,320
          Just from an observational point of view with regard to Passport Control/Customs:-

I haven't read enough to know whether the girls were using older sisters' passports or not (as someone alluded to). If they were, then passport control would almost certainly not recognise the difference. If they were using their own passports they would have got through easily.

We've just been to Turkey and although it's the off-season the airport was crowded. The passports got no more than a cursory look to see whether we looked like our photos. Coming back our passports were examined three times at the Turkish end, but they only seemed to bother about seeing whether we had the incoming customs stamp.

To make sure that the exiting passport holders were examined thoroughly would have required, at a guess, ten times the amount of officers. People departing the country aren't as high a priority as those entering and the examination was a bit more thorough when we came back. It was still chaos! They had 24 passport gates open and it still took 35 minutes to process us.

From the point of view of obtaining airline tickets:-
          This was very easy. It was all done online. We booked our tickets and printed them ourselves, Visas were obtained in the same fashion. At the check-in desk they were only interested in seeing that the name on our passport was the same as that on their computer - they didn't even want our tickets we had printed. Their main priority appeared to be checking that our bags weren't overweight. They even checked our carry-on bags that weren't allowed to be over 6kg.

If I was asked to try and judge the age of all the young females that were getting on our plane I could not have told you whether they were fifteen or twenty (and I was used to seeing the transformation of a girl when we were doing photo shoots).

So, if their paperwork was in order they would have been unlikely to have been stopped. Where they got the money from to buy their tickets is another matter but flights are very cheap at this time of year.

Of coursed, if we were happy to employ lots more officers, pay higher taxes, have to spend even more time at the airports before departure etc. we might stand a chance of checking better - but it's not going to happen!

If they had booked to fly to Adana or Batman international airports in Turkey there would be some excuse to expect customs to check closer (they're close to the Syrian border) but if they booked for any of the others there's a possibility that they haven't yet got to Syria unless they had transport provided (they have to get through the mountains).

• Informative Informative x 4
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Val..

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            These are not little kids we are talking about, they look like and practically are grown women.

Seems as though they had this well organised, whoever paid for the flights would have presumably provided transport for them also, I doubt they will ever be seen again, their choice!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
            • Billybell

Billybell Gardener

Retired and spending my kids inheritence.
              Ratings:
              +532
              Here is my opinion, and I stress that it is only my opinion.

These girls are old enough to have taken on board and understood events like 9/11, the London bombings, the horrific murder of Lee Rigsby and the barbaric recent be-headings. Far from being appalled by any of this, they have decided to actually be a part of it.

I cannot help feeling that the rest of us are that little bit safer for three people of that mindset having left the country.

• Agree Agree x 5
              • Like Like x 1
              • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                Ratings:
                +7,491
                They have also been willing to lie to the police about their activities as they were questioned by the police last year. The police concluded that they weren't of interest - they must be good liars. They've also been prepared to steal and then use a stolen passport. They're grade A students so of high intelligence and internet savvy so are quite capable of researching their new life and the men involved in it. I'd be more likely to think a solitary young person as vulnerable to some sort of brainwashing. Here there are three of them. They've been discussing it and planning it. They obviously support all the atrocities that have been going on. They want to start a new life and support the cause - vulnerable my ar$e! JMO

• Agree Agree x 4
                • Disagree Disagree x 1
                • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                  Ratings:
                  +857
                  I'm with you to a point..
                  The young are vulnerable perhaps in a way our.. Cough cough generation were not ? Im supposing many on here are in the Err more mature variety (Or just like me old) as this is a mature pastime that you lot have got me into.:biggrin:

I think we overprotect our young and it can make the vulnerable at times. Nothing wrong with that just another generation thing.
                  It is easy to say their internet use should have been monitored more closely but young and vulnerable doesn't mean they arent crafty. It must be quite hard to achieve total monitoring especially when we consider how much more the young can do with these new fangled machines of complexity.

All I hope is they come back safe and sound and someone is able to rid their heads of the rubbish some idiots have filled them with..

Should we not allow them back ? Well come on who would actually say no when it really comes down to it. They are after all young and even if completely fooled surely a second chance is only reasonable ? They would have to looked after and closely monitored of course ..

So a question.. Some say give them a break and yes under the right circumstances they should be allowed back. Now would we say the same if they were young men ? I think not,

The real victims here are the family and parents .....

• Like Like x 1
                  • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,089
                    I think I kinda did at the beginning of the thread?

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                    Ratings:
                    +31,177
                    Well, it's out of our hands now. They are in Syria,
                    Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,637
                      Oh yeah, school was different, loads of mates.
                      Drag that 15 yr old out the classroom and and put him in a strange environment, on his own, with adults, and I guarantee you have a different individual.

And that was 45 yrs ago.

• Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
                      • Val..

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +4,951
                        So they got what they wanted, ISIS will never let them return. As I think I said before the group of young men who wanted to come back home are now in ISIS prisons which apparently are appalling as you can imagine.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                        Ratings:
                        +31,177
                        Then we can only hope other young females will not follow them,
                        Jenny

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Val..

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +4,951
                          Well it's their choice isn't it? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +3,138
                            Poor souls, I fear for them and their poor parents. I can remember being young, idealistic and doing rash and stupid things and I had brilliant, loving, caring parents. I did have to face the consequences of what I'd done, but it was nothing like the consequences these girls are going to suffer.

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2