A few IDs

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by skinmonkey, Jul 2, 2010.

1. skinmonkey

skinmonkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Last year I got a load of cottage garden seeds and bird and insect attracting seeds, only problem was of course was that there was no indication of what was actually in the packets. So please have a look and let me know what I've got growing, thank you

1: Loads of these all over - not sure I like them in my boarders so will move (if possible) to the nature area.
    [​IMG]
    leaves
    [​IMG]

2:
    [​IMG]

leaves
    [​IMG]

3:
    [​IMG]

4: This was already in the garden when we moved in. Last year it didn't flower and I was going to dig it up, but was talked into letting it be. This year - wow - it's flowered and looks amazing, still no idea what it is?
    [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    1st one is ribwort plantain, a native wild flower

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    2nd looks like.. Campanula persicifolia - (peach-leaved bellflower)

3rd looks like a wallflower (orange flower head)

4th.. Looks like a
    Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' but not 100% sure.. :scratch:

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    4th is a Yucca - I have one that is about to flower for the first time.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    That second plant Campanula persicifolia is a beauty Skinmonkey. They are normally blue or white, but I love that colour. Over time it will expand outwards and in spring you can dig it up and cut it into 2 or 3 decent sized pieces and then replant them where you want. That way you can increase your stock.

The wallflower is essentially a biennial, and is likely to die after flowering. But collect the seed from the long pods - leaving them on the plant for as long as possible to ripen. Then scatter the seeds about, and hopefully you will get a lot more next year.

6. skinmonkey

skinmonkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for your help. I've a few more from this seed selection that need id'ing but they have shed their flowers or are as yet to flower.

After reading up I think I'll be moving the plantain to the wildlife garden now (typical as all the seeds have dropped now).

Thanks for the advice Peter, I'm going to be collecting as much seed as I can this summer as I want to fill in all the gaps in the boarders.

Cheers
    Ric