1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A little garden privacy?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by VeggieNovice, Apr 30, 2022.

1. VeggieNovice

VeggieNovice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing climber that I can use to act as a barrier from my nosey neighbours?

My neighbour has raised decking at the bottom of the garden and he stands against my fence which is 6 foot high and peers over.
    I have kids and my eldest gets creeped out by him. It makes sunbathing and enjoying the garden difficult when he's creeping about. I've asked him not to do it but he's a horrible person and refuses to stop looking over stating "I own my house and my garden. I can do what I want!"

I am considering buying an arch to pop in the corner where I need the barrier because I can't add a trellis atop of the fence and as a renter I can't add anything I can't remove.

The corner it will need to go in is partially shaded in the morning. I also have clay soil. I do mostly container/raised beds but am more than willing to plant directly into the ground if there is something that likes poor soil.

I was thinking of a clematis however I'm open to all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks

2. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    Campsis x tagliabuana

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Thing is the faster it grows the more attention it will need once established.
    You could try some of the more rampant clematis or if you just want to piss the neighbour off Russian vine. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      For instant privacy I can recommend something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eXtreme®-I...cial+laurel+leaf+screening,outdoor,276&sr=1-4

If you don't mind having fake plastic trellis that is.

But - you can take it with you if you move and you can place it where ever you like.

B&Q sell them for £45 or if you are close to a Home Bargains you can pick one up for £25.

They can attach to the fence via hanging - on a couple of screws - and you can place it so that it blocks someone looking over the fence.

• Like Like x 5