A local treasure.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Jack Sparrow, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    @Irmemac Where is that? The hotel we used on Barra had its own private beach. It was a bit precarious getting down to it but worth the effort.

G.

2. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Ooh, you're close! Tiree, a little south. First plane trip I ever went on was the flight from Tiree to Barra. The landing strip on Barra was a beach.

Did you like Barra? The beaches on Tiree are very accessible.

3. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I have watched the plane land on Barra beach. It's quite a spectacle. I might have some photos somewhere. It's a nice little cafe too. Like I said to Verdun re Cornwall. The same applies. It's very scenic but not much fun when driving a coach. If I went for myself I would probably enjoy it more.

It is also a long, long journey to get up there. We would travel up to somewhere like Erskine Bridge or Glasgow on the first day. Second day, Inveraray for lunch then to Oban for the ferry to Barra. 2 nights in Barra. Day to drive around Barra. Visit airport and church. Not much else to visit. Next day, Drive/sail Barra, Eriskay, lunch on Benbecula, Harris, and Lewis. Stay for 2 nights in Stornaway. Coach driver's day off in Stornaway so local bus and guide hired in for the day. Next day the ferry doesn't leave til 2pm ish. Have to waste a whole day twiddling thumbs. Ferry Stornaway to Ullapool (vouchers for food on boat) Short coffee stop in Inverness. Overnight in Pitlochry or Perth arriving rather late at night. Often hotel provides soup and roll. Next morning, early start to head home. 3 stops en route. Arrive home late evening. It's a lot to fit in. I did it twice and I found it really hard work.

G.

4. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Whistle..... yes, that is some journey. I find the journey from Glasgow to Tiree gruelling enough, and that's nothing compared to your journeys!

5. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Not a soul on the beach Iremac.....down here the beaches were packed :)
    Lovely though......that could be my local beach there:SUNsmile:

6. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    That's something we have heard often enough up there - if you go to a beach with anyone else on it, just go to the next. That way you could have your private beach. And what's more - Tiree has an airfield, so you could even fly there :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1