1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A push mower has come my way.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by roders, Aug 23, 2018.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    @Victoria is right, I do have one. I call it speedy. Still haven't gotten around to putting racing stripes on it though.

I just finished giving it a tune up and am pleased with it :)

@roders that is a dandy one you scored there !

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Happy memories. Starting work at Castle Woods, (spelled, Casil Woods, by the then park superintendant). Castle Woods being the home of Sevendroog Castle, a folly built in what is now kown as the Ancient woodlands.
    In that era and as far as mowers were concerned, the selection was very limited compared to todays multiple range. The Rough-cut mower was so somple and basic. The cutting cylinder had just four blades. The handle was a single wooden shaft with a "T" piece to hold. Height adjusterment was done by nut & bolt and a sliding bracket. No grass box. Some machines had cast steel wheels, some had a thin wooden roller. The mower was great for general areas especially getting under low bushes etc. The much heavier machine as pictured, Webb. Had a larger metal roller, chain driven. The larger roller provided the pattern of cut left on the lawns.

Going from the four bladed cylinder was the sixteen blade cylinder. This was the Ransome Certese. This was the mower for bowling greens. In my day, most green keepers stuck with the push-power machine. I believe a motorised version did hit the market, but perhaps not so popular.

Other mowers on site were, the 24 & 36" Dennis. These were monsters but fabulous machines. In time the rotory mowers came to be, such as the Hayter, in time smaller versions made for home use came to be. Then came the electric and battery powered mowers. Each taking their place in gardening.

Back to Castle Woods. The rose garden had two very steep grass banks. A length of cord/rope was tied to the handle of the Rough-Cut and it would be lowered down the bank and the hauled up, moving along. Eventually the banks were cut.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1