1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about siting roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Reetgood, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
    +111
    Hi

I would like to get a rose for my tiny garden. I have my eye on a hybrid tea rose silver jubilee.

I'm trying to decide where to put it. This is a rented house so I may have to dig it up or leave it when we depart (not for a while yet).

Here is the side where I am thinking of putting it

[​IMG]

I am thinking either in the sunny border next to the path OR getting permission to dig a hole in the middle of the lawn and put it there. The lawn is pretty awful, and although I will be trying to improve this autumn/ spring I don't really want to spend all my time on it.

I don't know very much about roses. Will it be an issue if I put in the lawn with competing for water/space?

I don't have very much in the existing borders so can easily go in there but I imagine it needs sun so that means the border by the hedge or the path. By the hedge: more competing for water?

Aesthetically my brain can't imagine if it will look completely random if I have one solitary rose in my border.

2. Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
    +111
    Just a cheeky bump, wondering if anyone has any advice!

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Hi there, they like a bit of sun so bear that in mind. Middle of the lawn would look nice and keep the lawn you remove for replacing later if you move..cover a little of the border up with it as a temp measure. So many colours to choose but one that flowers freely is often a good choice. Good luck.

4. Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
    +111

Good tip about the turf, thanks! The lawn gets more sun than some of the borders so that should be ok.

5. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Reetgood,

If you put it in the lawn I would make sure that you put a load of well rotted manure or compost to enrich the soil. As long as it get sun I think it should be ok.

Rusty

6. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Hello Reetgood :)

If you are not sure where you want to put it and will take it with you when you leave, you could put it in a larger planter so a) it's moveable and b) easy to take with :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Decisions decisions! Another option...

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      OR, plant it in the garden and take cuttings off it, which can be grown on in a container and taken with you, so you'll have the best of both worlds :blue thumb:

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      The thought did occur to me.. Think that's what I'll do.

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Thanks for all your help everyone. Now I just have to settle on the rose. I prefer the look of the blooms and the scent on tea roses, but would like something that's quite compact and disease resistant. I think silver jubilee fits the bill...but then my eye was caught by 'pretty Jessica' even though it's not a tea rose. Ooooo decisions again!

• Like Like x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        Welcome to the world of roses :snork: !

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
        +111
        I've always loved roses. I'm a bit concerned what I may be getting in too!

• Like Like x 1