1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A reminder for your hens ...

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by "M", Feb 16, 2016.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    He he, i like the "when".

I didn't think the sizing was right. I'm wondering whether just making a run would be easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,435
      Hi @Snorky85,

I'm delighted that you are going to rescue some ex batts :chicken:.

Do rescue at least three (but 4 would be better:dbgrtmb:).

I've had two wooden coops one almost identical to the one you are looking at, the run is no where near big enough, if they don't have enough space they fight! You will also have a pecking order, your bottom hen will need enough room to get away from the bullies.

I've learnt the hard way that hens get red mite :hate-shocked: they are an absolute b****** to get rid of in a wooden coop....they crawl into every tiny crack & breed like crazy :yikes: after spending lots of money on red mite powder & taking the coop apart, scrubbing it with poultry sheild on numerous occasions I gave up & bought myself an Omlet cube, it's awesome, easy to clean, nowhere for redmite to hide & the girls love it....it's worth you having a look on the Omlet website or keep an eye on eBay for a secondhand one :thumbsup:
      I hope that helps :dbgrtmb: if I can be of any further help please let me know :dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        Yep defo better to make your own run, please use mesh because foxes can bite through chicken wire :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,944
          Thanks @Beckie76 ! I'd only ever have ex-bats. They deserve some sort of better life after what they go through.

I was looking at the omlet the other month and wasn't sure if the run big enough(?) I'm guessing it is though.

Just wondering-what do you do with the hens when it comes to letting them out in the morning and away at night? I have see a timer thingy that can go on doors that will open and close.

Also, how easy are chickens to catch/get back in their coop?

Also-a random question....we have a peacock and peahen that visit us every morning-do chucks get on ok with other birds?:rolleyespink:

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,435
          Hi @Snorky85,

Ex batts are lovely to have because they are very friendly & there's nothing nicer than seeing their feathers grow :wub2:.
          You are aware of the Defra rules at the moment so my hens are mainly in the run, generally I let my hens free range, (when I first get them I keep them in the run for a few weeks so they get to know where they live!) ex batts sometimes need to be put to bed at night, they only need putting in the coop a few times, they soon learn what to do :blue thumb:.

I didn't buy the walk in run :doh:although now I wish I had! I'm not a massive fan of the run to be really honest with you, it's safe & secure BUT it's not big enough for my five hens! Hubby keeps promising to build me a wooden run but hasn't got round to it as yet! If you leave your girls in the run all day & didn't get home until after dark they've would be safe until you got home :dbgrtmb: in the summer they are obviously up early, they will let you know when they want to get up! Bok-Bok-Bok!

Just a couple of other things I thought of which might help you...you are better to use dust extracted bedding in the coop, hay holds mouldy spores which obviously isn't good for your hens lungs, I buy bales of straw from a local farmer which works well for me.

I'd also recommend 2 drinkers (plastic are better because the metal ones rust if you use apple cider vinegar tonic) also two feeders, I have two of each because of the pecking order the top hen can be mean to the bottom hen & can chase her from the feeder/drinker , two feeders/drinkers are harder for her to keep an eye on. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :yay: Which colour did you go for?
            Do be aware that the Cube can still harbour redmite! No where near the same scale as a wooden coop, but there is still the nest box door area where I've found a couple or three (dozen :heehee: ). It isn't totally mite proof ;)

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,944
            Would the omlet "go" house be ok for 3 chucks? That in a home built run?