1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A wee giggle....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,472
    On Friday, our next door neighbours were moving out, and as I was watering the plants a head popped out of an upstairs window next door, and it was my neighbour looking for a quick chat to say our goodbyes. Rather than conduct the conversation like that, I said I would meet her out the front.

So, I went out front and stood there a wee bit whilst my neighbours fought their way through boxes and dealt with questions from removal men, and as I stood there a wee black cat wandered up to me, meowing away, and started giving itself a good old rub through my legs. A wee pat revealed that it was very skinny, and no collar or anything, but it was incredibly friendly and it stayed with me for ages - at one point it tried to go in our front door, which would have ended in disaster had it made it, and met our dog.

Mrs C had popped to the shop, and as I was there with my new friend she returned, and she too was greeted and treated to a good rub through the legs. So, me being me (yes, I am a softie!), I suggested that we should maybe give it something to eat as it was so skinny, and a wee drink to wash it down with. The only thing we had that I could think of was a tin of tuna, so that is what Mrs C went and got for it - a couple of ramekins made makeshift feed bowls, and our wee pal had a fair bellyful before wandering off.

A bit later, we were out and had to go to Sainsburys, and as we walked past the end of an aisle they had cat food packs discounted to 20p, so being complete softies, we bought a couple as we were sure that our wee friend was a stray, and that would give us a couple of days to work it out and see about re-homing it. Felt good that we were doing the right thing by this wee cat (and on the quiet, Mrs C wanted to adopt it.... :snorky:)

Anyway, we didn't see our friend on Saturday but we did have a visit from our neighbours across the road, and we got chatting about this wee cat. It turns out that it lives a couple of doors up from our neighbours, and it is always round their feet when they are in the front garden, and often tries to get into their house - - oh, and they are softies too, and often times give it a wee bite to eat (chicken, ham etc).

The wee monkey is going round the neighbours and getting fed all over the place! OH, and we are now stuck with two packs of cat food and no bloomin' cat! :biggrin:

Animals are just brilliant, aren't they?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Nice story FC......yes animals are pretty smart. They know what they are doing but they makes us smile don't they? :)
      (P.s. Nothing wrong with being a softie FC)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +2,369
        One of our cats went missing for days when we were at the last house. Turned out that it was being fed at a neighbours who had just lost their cat. At the time we had four cats and this one didn't enjoy the other cats company. When we moved house we left the cat with the neighbours as it was happier with them. They are fickle animals

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,472
          Aye, they do seem to choose who they associate with - I was amazed how friendly the wee thing was. When it tried to head into our house, it reminded me of an incident many years ago when I was still living in Scotland; it was quite a warm evening, and I was sat on the sofa with a cuppa, and with the back kitchen door wide open. Our dog at the time, Max (a Jack Russell) was spread-eagled on the fireside rug, half asleep as dogs do so well, and this black and white cat walked into the house, into thie living room and then right past the dog and jumped up onto the armchair.

Max did a sort of double-take, and then gave a 'woof' at which point the cat took fright and shot up the curtains.... Cue a rather frantic phone call to my neighbour to get her to come and retrieve her cat from our curtains while I held back a terrier that wanted to try and haul the curtains and the cat down. So funny to look back on, but not so much at the time.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,851
            No, cany

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +50,646
              :) Hey FC ... do you really mean you stood there? If so, well done you. xx

Re the wee black skinny cat, lovely story but I sugpect the poor poppet has a severe case of worms especially if all the neighbours are feeding her. I know this for a fact as my boy Hoover Van Dyson (avatar) came out of the orchards and I fed him twice a day as he was so skinny and he wolfed the food down in nano seconds (hence his name). We did adopt him and took him to the vet and he was riddled with worms. He has been with us over 4 years now, weighs over 5 kilos and still loves his food ... but does not have worms any more. Maybe someone could tell the owners because if the poppet poos in people's gardens, their pets can get them ... not nice!

Just my view after cats owning me for over 50 years. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,472
                Hi @Victoria :)

Yes, I did stand there - admittedly, holding onto the front wall at times, but I did stand there. I am trying to push myself a wee bit to be honest, as the muscles are not going to repair themselves without some sort of exercise. I still have bad days (yesterday was one, which was handy as it meant the PIP assessor who was paying us a visit got to see an honest picture of where I am, and not me being all optimistic etc.

I don't know those particular neighbours, but I do have a couple of packs of cat food as a conversation starter......

I will try and get the word to them one way or another, not least as there are a fair few cats around here, so we don't want them getting ill.

• Like Like x 1
                • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,632
                  My dog always gained weight during the summer holidays when she was free to roam the countryside and the humans got fit doing the hard labour at Nana's holiday home.

She was let out around 6am and returned at 9 for her breakfast of posh balanced nuggets we carried in bags in the bus.

It took us a few summers to understand what was going on when a neighbour commented how fond our lovely dog was on porridge. A short round of interviews revealed that our dog did a regular breakfast round to all neighbours, getting a good meal at every house before returning home for her healthy nuggets. :gaah:

Probably that says a lot of pleasant things about the dog herself, being so kind and friendly and non- begging in a "sorry about the drooling, please just ignore me and carry on with your delicious smelling breakfast"- way :snorky: And about our lovely neighbours. :)

But yes, if the visitor is skinny in spite of regular feeding, there is something not quite right. A vet should sort things out.

Lovely to hear you are getting stronger @Fat Controller :) Best wishes to you [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,472
                    Thanks @Selleri :)

We had a chat with our other neighbours yesterday, and whilst we were over there, a certain wee cat turned up. It is abundantly apparent now that something isn't right, as it is quite sensitive around the rear end of its back, and if you are giving it a wee pat/rub in that area, it will have a half-hearted attempt at biting you. The neighbours we were talking to know the owners of the cat quite well, so I asked them to have a word and suggest that the cat needs to be seen by a vet as it could have worms, or possibly even another illness.

• Like Like x 3