1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Acer cuttings

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Dougyb83, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Dougyb83

Dougyb83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Ive taken some acer cuttings and potted them up. I'm just wondering if they will be happy kept indoors over winter or should I look into buying a cold frame? I know the success rate of rooting isn't great but thought I'd give it a go.

I'm going to get some palmatum seeds on the go too. If you have any tips for these as well please let me know.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner.

Your cuttings need to be kept moist and warm. Avoid direct sunlight. A simple method is to place the pot of cuttings in a plastic bag, keeping the top open. A few thin canes will support the bag. Then mist spray. A bottle spayer will do.

3. Dougyb83

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome Mike. In all honesty I've never been great at gardening/keeping houseplants alive. But I seem to have developed some amateur green fingers in the last few years.

Am I right in thinking the bag should come up above the height of the cutting to help trap the moisture? Or just to cover the pot?
    Thanks

4. Mike Allen

Ratings:
    +6,097
    Yes. Often the use of plastic bags have come to the aid of gardeners. In this instance the bag acts like an open topped greenhouse. In other cases, the bag is tied closed.

5. Mike Allen

Ratings:
    +6,097
    I have to compliment Dougy. Why? IMHO he has taken the Bull by the Horns, and dived in at the deep end. Usually propagating plants come after time spent getting to know the basics. Well Done.

On the subject of Propagating, may I mention a publication of the RHS. 'Plant Propagation' By P. McMillan Browse. It's a spiral bound publication. Ebay often have copies for sale. Believe me it is a MUST. Most if not all methods of plant propagation, as known of at the time of writing are covered, including grafting, a practice I would like to see gardeners using more.
    There is also a companion book,' Growing under glass' by. Kenethh Beckett. I honestly suggest such books to be in every gardeners library.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,243
      @Dougyb83 Morning and I agree with Mike about the deep end, but good luck. I've found Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson (2nd Edition) to be very helpful over the years.
      On Acers he says propagate by seed or cuttings. Seed needs to be fresh and leave the wings on. Place in plastic bag with grit, coarse sand or vermiculite, 5 parts:1 part seed half fill bag and seal. Mixture needs to be slightly moist, not wet. Place bag in sheltered spot outside, may want to place in lidded container or stronger sack to protect from creatures. Then leave till spring, in spring inspect bag regularly for signs of roots appearing then sow and keep at 15-20°C.
      Here for discussion and different methods: Acer palmatum Cutting propagation ?
      Cuttings suggestion: is to use tip cuttings from plants forced into early growth and then root cuttings under mist at 15-25°C.
      This doesn't mean other methods won't work just don't expect a high success rate. I would take a dozen or so mature cuttings, once the leaves drop, and stick these into a slit in the ground filled with coarse sand, helps drainage, and leave until spring and see if any produce growth. Leave these until early summer then pot up or plant into a nursery area where they can develop over the next year.
      I have a largish red leaved Acer palmatum that produces copious seed most years and have yet to find a red leaved seedling among the few that germinate around it. Field Maples growing near me produce lots of seed and I pull up lots of seedlings every year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dougyb83

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you both for your replies. I didn't realise growing from cuttings was considered such a big thing lol. But as I say I have some seeds as well so I figure, what's the harm in trying.

I was planning on chucking the seed straight into a large container of soil which will be outside so they can stratify. Or do you think bagging them up in vermiculite is a better method?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,243
        @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings.
        As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd stick them in a pot outside and see what happens. Mix plenty of grit into the soil in the pot and don't sow them too deep. If you don't get good enough results this year try more sophisticated methods next autumn.