1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Acers Help

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by scooby-mas, Apr 21, 2014.

1. NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    Vine weevil grubs??? Losts several to them.

• Like Like x 1
    • exlabman

exlabman Gardener

Paramedic
      Ratings:
      +17
      Hmmm, possible will have to carry out post mortem and see.
      Just found some in the compost bin, so I'm guessing that's a write off too.

D

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I bought lots of Acers last year, including four Atropurpureum. All are doing well except three Atropurpureum which have died. Two were in a north facing border so may have succumbed to waterlogging, but one was in a pot in 'Acer Corner' (nicely sheltered) with the other Acers, all of which are doing really well :scratch:

I'd forgotten about the fourth one and it had been outside over winter in its plastic pot. That one's doing well so I planted it in the front garden in dappled shade. Been out there a few weeks so judgement's still out.

They were all small ones, whereas most of the other Acers are older so tougher, maybe that's something to do with it :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
        • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
          Ratings:
          +1,559
          My acer palmatum, pink dwarf sapling has made a remarkable recovery. About 6 weeks ago most of its new growth died. I did give it a weak ericaceous fertiliser but I suspect it was knocked back by a cold spell (not frost, just cold). Now it's bursting with new growth and appears to have taken to its pot well. It's still in a shaded, sheltered corner. In a few weeks I'll move it somewhere sunnier and on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,321
            Hi @JackJJW

Not too sunny as it will scorch the leaves especially on young plants/shrub
            (out of full sun from 12.00 till 3.00) plus remember its in recovery , the good thing is they do toughen up over the years

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1