1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on weeding patio please!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by toppington, Apr 29, 2016.

1. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Hello!

I've a small patio in the garden made with about 30cm square paving slabs. Weeds love to grow in between them!

I've been following some of the topics with interest about salt and vinegar, roundup and so on... And am going to have a go at chip-shop garden then pull them out- as the lawn is close by and I don't want to end up killing any grass by an accidental Roundup application!

I also read it would be wise to put a layer of sand in the cracks between slabs to stop further growth. Is this recommended?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,405
    Hi toppington, I doubt that putting sand in the cracks will stop weeds, unless it's mixed with a granular weedkiller that stops seeds germinating. Just the opposite....they'll have more to root into!
    If they are just annual weeds, the salt'n'vinegar thing should work, but not sure that they'll kill off roots of perennial weeds.
    I use a product on slabs and the drive that includes seed germination inhibitor. It lasts for six months so only one application needed in Spring.
    It used to be called Pathclear but no idea if it's still available in UK under that name? The bio solutions are a flamethrower or take up the slabs, lay membrane and cement the joints!