1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aerating a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by chris_elevate, Nov 16, 2014.

1. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Another simple &, cheap but affective way is to make some homemade ones

image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Jason85

Jason85 Gardener

Ratings:
      +166
      A stab in the dark I'd say between 2-3 inches or the other alternative if you just want to potter about your garden and is overlooked by everyone is

image.jpg

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      Seriously dodgy those Mowgley! :)

Thanks Jason. I can't risk anything like the above two pictures, I have an ankle that's pinned together and they'd be to unstable for me.

• Jason85

Jason85 Gardener

Ratings:
      +166
      I know the feeling I had an operation on my back October 2013 I had 2 slipped discs for a year then I had an op which removed the pertruding parts of the discs so I have to be carful on what I do

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • chris_elevate

chris_elevate Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Ok, I've taken on your advice and aerated the whole thing using a fork. Yes it was very hard work but rewarding to this that I was giving it a treatment that the moss would hate! I have used Moss Killer (soluble iron FE 20%) on the whole area to kill the moss. I reseeded the bad areas and most of the brown has now gone.

Please could you advise me on what I should now be doing with my lawn in order to get a good green spread of grass? As mentioned previously, I have sandy soil and the front and back both have 1/3 of each that is in the shade due to hedges around the perimeter.

What treatments and feeds would you suggest giving it now and over this year in order to get it looking good? I'd like to spray it with a feed now but not sure what to use, when to do it or how frequently to do it.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,552
        Over the winter months the grass isn't in growth (usually) so it is pointless using any chemicals on it. When the lawns are actively growing and have had their first couple of mowing's, this is the time to think of putting down any chemicals for weeding or feeding, but avoid this if you still have a lot of frosts in your area. Instructions for the use of chemicals and when the best time is to use them will be on the pack. Make sure you stick to what they say as your lawns could be damaged if you 'overdose' them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
      • Jason85

Jason85 Gardener

Ratings:
        +166
        I've got a lawn feed and other bits in one pot called aftercut it feeds your lawn makes it greener and healthier but will use it in spring like sheal mentioned as his is when plant and lawn growth accelerates again
        image.jpg
        It says it:

Greens in sevens days
        Kills weeds
        Kills moss
        Conditions and nourishes your lawn
        Convenient single product with all three key benefits combined into one easy to use product.
        Simply fold the spout into position as instructed...7 days later your lawn will never have looked so good!
        Treats: 80m²

• Like Like x 1
        • chris_elevate

chris_elevate Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
          So you'd wait for a couple of cuts and then put down some spring/summer lawn feed. I've found one which is 11-5-5. Would it say this is a good option?

When would you think the grass will start growing? Just a rough idea would help.

Thanks

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,552
          Sorry Chris, I'm not with you on the 11-5-5.

My lawns hadn't stopped growing totally this winter because of the mild weather until the cold spell recently suspended growth. The island stays slightly warmer than most other areas of Britain. It's difficult to say when the lawns will start growing, it's down to the weather. Some members on GC mow their lawns all year round avoiding times of frost of course.

I tend to feed mine in April and only feed them once a year even though I have sandy soil which is a hungry soil.

• chris_elevate

chris_elevate Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
        • Jason85

Jason85 Gardener

Ratings:
          +166
          I would wait yes but as others satin wait until grass starts regrowing mine will usually get first cuts March April time with a fine cut to cut tops of grass off before I do a second cut in couple of weeks later with normal cut, I am trying to get my grass strong as I have 3 kids and it will get trampled heavily

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,552
          Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about NPK levels. You may think as a gardener I should but I don't study packaging or science to that extent. Any chemicals I buy for my garden are minimal which is why I only feed my lawns once a year. Any chemicals I do buy, I judge by content but not by the levels of that content. :)

It's not a problem that your lawns have their first cut March or April, feeding will wait until then. As long as the lawns are actively growing it will be fine. The only other time not to feed or weed is during drought conditions, as the grass will become stressed and outgrow it's strength.

• Like Like x 2
          • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
            Ratings:
            +857
            Make sure you don't them on the wrong way up ! Obviously the last word in designer laces ?

I like the ease and simplicity of those rollers but the lawn bloke I spoke said they don't go deep enough.

I went into a large garden outlet to buy one and asked the fella who was on the section dealing with tools about these rollers.. He was I think an old fella who was well into gardens and had quite some experience. His advice was " Get thee fork out young fella me lad and get some blisters on thee hands" Not sure but I think he was from that Yorkshire ,,,,

He said the same as the lawn bloke. Get a fork and get stuck in !

So a question ? When should the next two hands full of blisters be gotten ? I was wondering if it may be a good idea to get the lawn aerated before real growth starts ?

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Jason85

Jason85 Gardener

Ratings:
              +166
              As often or little as you like I read somewhere once in spring and once in autumn but everyone differant as I was told by someone to do once a month every month so I think it's a matter of personal choice I will do mine every month as our lawn is on a slope and don't fancy standing water on one side and my lawn will get hard use but most people will say once a year in spring

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,552
              It is the best way I admit Charlie, but with a dodgy ankle, a dodgy back and a 60 x 50ft front lawn it isn't going to happen here! :)

• Like Like x 1