1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

African violet splitting

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Delta, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys
    I'm just trying to ascertain whether an an AV in flower can be split as this one is pretty much continually in flower but also rather overfilling the pot I put it into last year?

I've no idea of what variety it is exactly as I got it as a leaflet off Ebay & then forgot to keep the pot which had the name on it :(. But I've now 3 of them and 2 more leaves about to sprout as well. I'm just keen to keep this one going as well as it has been over the past year or so.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      Been a long time since I grew these but I do remember dividing them when they got congested.
      Normally its best to get both pieces with some root.
      They tend to flower all year round if happy so no problem doing it while the plant is in flower.

Propagation by single leaves is quite easy but does take a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
        Ratings:
        +15
        Thanks for the encouragement :) - I did manage to divide one other one last year but it wasn't in flower & has done really well, so it's good to know it shouldn't suffer too much hopefully. It's taken me a while to find the best means of keeping them healthy but now I have, I'm coming down with them, & like most gardeners hate letting anything die so am going to have to start finding new homes for some of the stock I think :).

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
          Ratings:
          +1,320
          Indeed they can. I did one plant awhile back and got another four! look for little complete baby plants when you divide and pot up. Think I used a good compost / Vermiculite mix.