1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

After Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 31, 2020.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,328
  2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,669
    It took the EU about 0.0003s to state an extension was required to negotiations due to covid-19! Doubt much is happening with it at all and Boris is looking quite out of his depth now

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      To be fair, seeing as no one is allowed to travel ANYWHERE in Belgium, unless to buy food or seek medical attention, negotiations are not really the priority right now...

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Ratings:
        +21,669
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,793
        Good afternoon well I hope he recovers very soon :smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Loofah

Ratings:
          +21,669
          Wonder who would replace him if he doesn't?

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Wonder who cares??:scratch::doh::heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            Why do so many assume the UK will need to request an extension? Why can't the EU ask the UK for one?

Does force majeure entitle the EU to additional payments? In construction contacts the contractor can get an extension of time, but no additional payments.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
          • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
            Ratings:
            +1,200
            Corona virus, will highlight one of the negatives of free movement of people. As for Mr Barnier, I dont wish him any bad, but, he can poke the extension, where the sun don't shine, if they are not adult enough to play fair. Just to point out, not only do we buy a lot of their cars and commercial vehicles, food and drink products, but this time of the year, over 10 million plants aday (including cut flowers), yes a day, from Holland are imported, let alone plants from Belgium, Spain, Italy, this is a lot of strain on continental business, the hike in import duty, will destroy all but the strongest in the horticultural trade, bering in mind the Dutch horticultural trade, part of it is subsidised by the Dutch government,
            That is a lot of money to local economies, because of red lines, by polititians.
            It will not effect me, what ever happens, because I have been collecting plants, that are grown on the continent, like Bougainvillea, Bay, Echiums, Callistemon, olive, Citirus fruits etc, and will use them as stock plants, I can understand the polititians from both sides talking tough, but if they cannot thrash a deal out, then, it just goes to show, they really dont care. So no extension for me, and they cannot blame corona virus, because like they said to us, you can use technologies like skype to keep in contact. Rant over, couple of coldnones in the fridge.

• Like Like x 4
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Well, there will be no further payments as even if there is an extension we will no longer be a member of the EU at the end of the year. Negotiations about trading agreements can, technically, be carried on with the EU without any mandatory payments.
              It's in my interests at work to record and try to analyse EU Legislation which, before the Covid 19 arrival, was streaming out of the EU in order to further chain and deter EU members to follow suit and contemplate leaving the EU.
              Now, in the last 10 days, EU legislation is almost none existent..........I wonder why??:scratch::doh::heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Informative Informative x 2
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,304
                That would be because mainland Europe is taking swift and positive action to limit the spread and severity of Covid-19, wouldn't it? Not an easy task in a country with a population as sociable and physically active as the French!

• Agree Agree x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I'm not sure Mr Barnier would agree with that, noisette:dunno::heehee:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +14,304
                  Probably not, ARMANDII :). Even here, many are disappointed that a lockdown wasn't implemented sooner. But the general feeling is one of surprise that UK hasn't yet taken more positive action. Given the amount of casual travel nowadays, island status is no guarantee of immunity.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    To be honest, I think this Government has done just that, but a more considered approach backed up by science. European countries have taken action but whether that is positive is debatable, Italy shut the door too late and the other countries seem to have gone their own different ways in how to deal with the situation, with some declaring quasi-martial laws without real consultation with Scientist's or Medical organisations until after declaring lock downs.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                      Ratings:
                      +49,478
                      I read something yesterday (not a clue where, sorry!) written by a doctor that explained fairly well what he believed to be the methods being used @noisette47 - - I can't explain it nearly as well, but it was along the lines that the UK government was slowly closing things down bit by bit so as not to increase panic and to allow them time to get the relevant plans in place to help people, and thus to reassure people. Failing to do that would be likely to cause mass panic and result in people panic buying even more, or possibly even looting.

Furthermore, if it can be managed, and as many people as possible can do what a lot have now done (including myself) and set themselves up to work from home, then the controls would be in place not only to shut things down remotely as needed, but also to start them back up again. In the course of this, there would be some inevitable spread, and sadly some fatalities, however these would be likely to happen anyway - - if not now, at a later stage after a lockdown when everyone started to try and resume normality.

People like myself have been clearly told that I will not be back in the workplace for at least 12 weeks, and this is to avoid any risks from a second wave.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 2
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1