1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

After Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,629
    There will still be the Bulgarian contributions and.. German humour... not to mention French public transport planning and... er... Italian luggage handling protocol...? :evil:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,222
      We do have the trade negotiations to look forward to. A laugh a minute, roller coaster ride with, as always, the Americans chipping in with helpful suggestions.
      Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,222
        Not quite yet; we have to follow the rules until December 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, as you know, noisettte, anyone on this Forum with that attitude, unlikely as that is:love30:, will convert from a Remainer to a Leaver!!

upload_2020-2-1_14-20-12.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,620
            Not entirely sure why you think I have no empathy Noisette or if that jibe about a nasty human nature was directed toward me? My comment followed on from Lori's previous comment and it was purely regarding how routine life is after Brexit, on the day we left the EU - no dramatic scenes, no sky falling in etc. No need to try and read anything into it

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,823
              I've seen lots of nasty people and that's well before Brexit came along, my neighbour was very nasty for 20+ years

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,982
                Those that chose to 'leave' seem to be in the dog house which has been the case all along,that is what has caused all the animosity from the off..Democracy has proven the result ,it's not a personal thing.

• Like Like x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,629
                  Having lived in 4 countries I must give my honest salute to Great Britain for being so genuinely welcoming and accepting, without compromising on the national identity/ identities. Thanks guys. I'm a guest but you make me feel at home. :)

This Brexit thingabobby is a weird situation. I'm a 70's kid growing up at times when United Nations was a big thing and us kids were taught songs on whatever the colour of the skin is, the heart of all children are the same. (We enthusiastically drew red indians, yellow chinese and black africans with joined hands and white hearts (apparently gold wasn't invented yet) and felt sad that there were no blue skinned children. Tentative attempts of green Martians were not encouraged. )

Anyways, the sentiment was to unite and join, to move away from the blockism that sparked the horrors witnessed by the previous generations. Now the world is again different and we'll just have to see what happens next and if the young ones will take us to something a bit better.

• Like Like x 6
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +14,233
                    Wasn't a jibe at you, Andy, just an observation. I've seen the other side of the argument too, with incredible hate and spite being spouted by some of the 48% who 'lost'. Perhaps it's an anti-climax because, as NigelJ says, this is just the start of the construction of the 'brave new world' :) I suppose it's very similar to any divorce....it can be civilized, amicable, dignified, fair and intelligently managed. Or it can be bitter, defiant, childish and ultimately, destructive. Guess which version the media thrive on?:sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • noisette47

Ratings:
                      +14,233
                      That's an interestingly defensive view :). I'd have thought that it was simply a case of such a narrow margin between the numbers on each side. So whichever way it went, there'd have been almost half the (voting) population who were, and are, against the outcome. Not to mention all the British citizens who are and will be affected by the outcome, but didn't have the right to vote. Moving on, that's one shameful injustice that has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU but is 100% home-grown and, if politicians' promises are worth spit, should be rectified.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        I thought that originally, noisette, but then the growing tide of abuse aimed at those supporting Leave in those 'orrible 4 years went to a level we have never ever seen. Financial and personal "misdoings" of every sort were leveled by London City, Labour run, organisations, National Papers, and TV media repeating those accusations made life Hell for leading Political Leaders supporting the Leave decision. No mention of those accusations were made after the last General Election and, like the Tide, the flood of slime politics ebbed away like magic. I think what has mostly left a "scar" with people was the way the result of the Referendum was attacked as null and void in so many ways by organisations and Polticians who's self interests were threatened, which is not what we are used to no matter how we criticise our own British democracy. The way our own Politicians deliberately ignored the result and tried every thing they could to stop Brexit happening was the key to actually getting Brexit "done". The opposition parties in the Parliament started making up and passing their own laws to delay/stop when the Government didn't have a working majority. They went to the Courts numerous times to try to stop Brexit and failed. The decision in the Supreme Courts that a Prime Minister contitutional right to prorogue Parliament was "unlawful" resulted in cries for the Prime Minister to be jailed and the Queen's authority being questioned by the Leavers.
                        The situation is still, I think very raw in certain quarters with hard liners on the Remain side probably still wishing the trade negotiations to fail etc. It will take several years for things to settle, although we are still in stormy waters with various issues still boiling away.

• Like Like x 2
                        • noisette47

Ratings:
                          +14,233
                          Yes, but.....isn't it true to say that certain pro-Brexit figures lied, wriggled, promised the sun, moon and stars to the British public, while behind the scenes, they were busily arranging their own affairs to either mitigate their potential losses or actually profit from a catastrophe scenario that could, or would, result from Brexit. How on earth can you justify their behaviour, or place faith in their honesty and committment to delivering what is genuinely best for the UK?:scratch: I admire your unshakeable belief, Armandii, I really do :) It makes the Rock of Gibraltar look like a blancmange (pardon my French :biggrin:) in comparison :wow:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Noisette, I have no faith/belief, whether that be Religious or in Life:dunno: There have been times in the earlier when in a Company in crisis I have said to the Directors when they were wondering whether I was staying or leaving that I said "I've stuck my Flag with yours" with one Director looking puzzled until another told him what I meant.
                            I don't believe in anything I can't taste, touch, see, feel or hear. But there are times when you have to decide to believe in something, possibly give something that you can't get back, nor probably want to. I believed in my Wife, I still do, even though I lost her to Motor Neurone Disease in April 2001. I believe in my Life long friend who I would give my Life for and he would do the same for me.
                            And I believe in Great Britain, not it's politicians, but in Britain itself. I hate it's Winters so grey and depressing, I hate the fleetingness of the Summer as it never stays long enough, but then I stop on a warm blue skied day and I love it all and I believe in it.
                            Great Britain is an Island with 21 miles of Sea that says so. We are an Island people, we've fought with every country in Europe as foes, and we have fought with them as Allies and friends...........but we're not European. I'm not a Nationalist thumping the Drum but I'm a person who looks around, see's all the faults and yet is quietly proud of what our British History is and what it can be.

• Like Like x 5
                            • Friendly Friendly x 3
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +118,221
                              I think that a lot of the bile and invective on both sides has been promulgated by the media and not helped by the spouting and chest thumping of politician on both sides. Apart from our home grown politicians, our media point up and emphasise all the stupid rhetoric from the EU politicians and ignore any friendly or mediating comments. The foreign media do likewise the other way.

All this stirs up discontent, emphasises misinformation - and sells copies and advertising!!! :doh:

The general groundswell of opinion that I've noticed on both sides (doing a lot of travelling and mixing) is that people tend to think well of each other but are influenced unfairly by all the hate propaganda.

People in public life should stick to the old adage 'if you can't say something nice, keep quiet'. Unfortunately, that's just pie in the sky.

I have no trouble taking public figures to task, in public meetings, if I think they are overstepping the mark :old:. Although I have slowed down a bit now. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 2
                              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +85,503
                                All I can say is I voted against joining in the first place. I bear no animosity to anyone on the other side of the issue, let's face it we basically go with what suits us best personally.

Having said that I don't think all the wrangling that has gone on has helped to close the divisions between leave and remain.
                                An acceptance of the result of the referendum would have been much better from day one.
                                I really don't think this is a time for gloating ,more a time of getting everyone to accept that we need make a real go of this and the only way to do that is if the leave campaign stop muddying the waters.
                                I'm still not sure they are finished and some of the more extreme amongst them will still try to scupper any decent deal.

• Like Like x 3
                                • Agree Agree x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1