1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

After Brexit - am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 31, 2020.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I think that points out the difference in how things are now, why shake hands with some one who is trying to pull the rug from under you.
    It never has made sense to shake hands just because it is traditional.
    Kind of two faced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      We were always taught to be polite to people, even when you don't agree with them. It seemed very petty of Trump not to shake hands (after all, that's what a President is supposed to do) especially when he had won the argument (although I think the result was a fiddle as they didn't allow any evidence to be brought :scratch:).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,625
        This impeachment business - if we applied the same process to our Parliament - most of them would be out on their ears for fiddling expenses...

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,808
          Complete and utter fiddle! People were too scared of repercussions if they went against him

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            They also are supposed to steal lollipops out of babies hand (name the film where that line came from:heehee:)

To be honest, Shiney, handshakes are supposed be genuine and mean something between people, but handshakes between Politicians mean absolutely nothing:dunno: Watching Politicians taking Media handshakes are, to me, irritating, as they fool no one and they know it, but still the Media demands it, and still the Politicians do it.:wallbanging:

Well, again, Shiney, I'm not sure he won anything:dunno:. It was a foregone conclusion that the Senate would aquit him no matter what, which amplifies what lows the US Politicians have sunk to:doh: The argument was, I think, whether or not Trump was guilty of abusing his Presidential powers not whether or not the Republicans would ignore any evidence put before them even if God was a witness for the Prosecution!!:heehee:
            Political "trials" run by Politicians will never win anything, except to prove they can have an inevitable conclusion before they even start.............now if that case had gone before the American Supreme Court!!:whistle::heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Only if it was run by the Legal system, clanless. If it had been run by our Politicians then they would have got an increase in their expenses.:dunno::heehee:

This "impeachment business" just shows how low and farcical Political Trials can be and bear no comparision to legal trials.

• lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,988
            I completely agree Shiney...

They both made themselves look a pair of prats..how childish can they get.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,035
              I agree up to a point, I think a handshake is ok when people dont agree, but its more to do with respect. And neither respects the other, so a handshake would be just a pointless exercise in my view, and really much more honest this way.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,497
                I'm not sure about that. They are both in the public eye and should be setting a good example. If the 'adults' squabble in public what's to stop the 'kids' from being rude and aggressive as well?

This is one of the problems in modern society. :sad: You only need to see the problems that arise from aggressive parents at a kids football match. The bad example lets the kids think they can be like that as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Agreed, Shiney, but Kids are not Idiots and are probably more grown up that us at times (not that I've ever alluded to ever being grownup :dunno::heehee:), but seeing "Adults" being insincere by shaking hands publicly when it's known it's not meant does not set a good lesson for Kids. Also, taking the last 4 years as an example, our Kids cannot have missed the bile/hate/backstabbing/vitrolic language being used in the House of Parliament and the Media I think our Kids were prefer to sincerity or how can they trust the gesture of a handshake in Life?:scratch::doh:

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,497
                  Agreed. :blue thumb:

That is all totally reprehensible and sets a bad influence under any circumstances.

I still don't think impoliteness has an excuse at any time. I think it only leads to stronger clashes of all sorts. :noidea:

Apologies for going totally off topic - apart from the word 'handshake'. We tend to eat out quite often and the owner of one of the restaurants greeted us with an extended hand for a handshake. I politely declined to take his hand and said I would explain once we had been seated. I then told him that the customer that had walked into the restaurant just in front of us had sneezed into his hand just before entering and then shaken hands with the owner! :rolleyespink:

Following on from that, I had a meeting later that week at which one of the attendees was the Chief Environmental Health Officer. We chatted about the incident and he told me that it is definitely not recommended for owners/head waiters to greet customers with a hand shake when they arrive but offering a hand shake when they leave is acceptable.

(P.S. it is not suitable, in polite company, to tell the joke about the waiter with a spoon in his top pocket, so I shan't do so :whistle: :heehee:)

(P.P.S. I have worked in the restaurant industry :biggrin: :rolleyespink:)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Loofah

Ratings:
                    +21,808
                    I think we can all agree both Trump and Pelosi have not been shining beacons of how to govern? Petty behaviours, squabbling, back stabbing (and front stabbing given the chance I expect!) - and the voting public lap it all up! It's all gone in favour of Trump and his suppport base has been strengthened through being impeached!! All because Trump is a better manipulator and people thrive on social media of which, like it or not, he is brilliant at. Truth be damned.

• Like Like x 2
                    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                      Ratings:
                      +7,625
                      Quote from beeb about early release of terrorists:

"Ministers have admitted they are likely to face a legal challenge over the plans and an ex-independent reviewer of terror legislation, Lord Carlile, said blocking early release "may be in breach of the law".

Not a problem - Boris has enough clout to change the law - so that he is not in breach.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        There are so many Civil and Human Right, well funded, organisations out there, clanless, that I suspect that even if the Lower Courts turn down their legal challenges this one will probably go all the way to the Supreme Court. The other problem is that until the end of this year we're still under the EU Courts Jurisdiction......so it's not as clear as we all might like it to be.
                        :wallbanging::doh:

• Loofah

Ratings:
                        +21,808
                        Yeah, it's just one thing after another though. I get the impression this is going to be a very long parliamentary session with challenges to Boris (not the government per se) over every thing he wants to do, purely because he's Boris.

That said, I'm a bit bemused over his antics in shutting out the press etc recently. It's the sort of pointless behaviour I'd expect of Trump...

• Agree Agree x 1