1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Air plant help

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Mystic_roots, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mystic_roots

Mystic_roots Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping some lovely people might be able to assist me with my air plant!

I got one as a christmas present as I grow a few venus flytraps amongst others but air plants are very new to me. I've googled and looked at instructions but my frist one i managed to kill by overwatering it, so i ordered another a few weeks back. I have watered it less, i have given it a feed that comes as a spray and it is situated in a South facing window, however it doesn't look healthy at all. I have soaked it in water for a few hours and allowed it to dry but it doesn't look very good. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi and Welcome,

Not actually grown any of them, but thought the whole point is that they extract what moisture they need from the Air, so you do not need to water them at all.
    Suspect yours are rotting away with too much damp ..?

Neither do they need to be 'planted' in anything, they can just be left in mid air with the roots dangling.

Sure some Air plant growers will be around soon to give you proven guidance.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,888
      I've grown a few but quite a few years ago, and yes, best attached to a branch or some such thing and sprayed with water a couple of times a day, depending on humidity.

Venus flytraps(dionaea), being a bog plant, are probably the most different plant you could possibly grow from an airplant, (tillandsia).;)

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
      • Mystic_roots

Mystic_roots Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks Pete, I didn't realise they needed spraying a few times per day. They do feel very bristly and hard, which i think is due to not enough water. Humidity ranges from 40-60%. Do you think a good 12 hour soak may help it? I read a lot of conflicting information on the internet so it's hard ot know the best root to revive it, if it's not too late

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,888
        My thoughts entirely, but I think the one in the picture is beyond help.
        Is it in a terrarium?

If you buy another give it good indirect light and spray it twice a day at least, and mount it on something like a piece of wood or a shell.
        Used to use silicone sealant to attach them to things as the roots are not reliable.

A 12 hour soak is a definite no, no IMO, that would kill them dead.
        They are quite hard plants that are naturally bristly which helps them trap airborne moisture, but they hate continual wet.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,463
        I have never fed mine and through the winter only sprayed it once every two week. I agree that it has probably been too wet and therefore too far gone. I cannot understand why the growers suggesting feeding them.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,888
          Maybe because they then go on to selling you feed as well.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,319
          I have seen them hung up on fishing line and today in a local garden shop they were just laid on a shelf. Their natural habitat is to grow hanging from tree branches, Spanish Moss is a well known example, just think Florida Everglades.
          See here for growing information Air plants / RHS Gardening

• Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,579
          Most likely it was tillandsia ionantha. I have tillandsias for 8-9 years. I just keep them in the basket and spray once a week, occasionally addding fertilizer into the water. Except for very hot summer weather, when I would spray 2-3 times a week.
          If you get new one, get rid of media immediately, still can keep plant in glass ball, but I woudn't keep it in direct sun - plant can just bake inside the ball.