1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliums

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Tweetypie, May 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tweetypie

Tweetypie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    I’m new here and sooo excited to be able to chat with people who love their garden and gardening.
    So I have a question
    Last year I planted 55 alliums (majority in the ground). I planted them near to my fence and have just discovered that the most of them have grown in my neighbours garden!!!
    I am so disappointed but more than that I want to know how that happens?
    They weren’t planted right at the boundary so I’m very confused.
    I use bark as a mulch but around 10 of the alliums came through fine.
    Please help

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,346
    @Tweetypie
    Alliums are not normally migratory, what was the one you planted and when did you plant them?
    Did your neighbour also plant alliums last year?
    If not planted deep enough some varieties just split up and you get a lot of leaf and no flower.
    Where abouts are you? it has been cold recently so depending on the soil temperature yours might still be thinking about appearing. I normally have allium flowers in the garden at this time of year and I still only have small buds; they will be about a month late with me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      Welcome to the forum.

Has your neighbour put a new fence in and shifted it to your side by a few inches? Alliums don't move on their own, they will spread in years to come but will be in the same position after one year.

• Tweetypie

Tweetypie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks both
      I planted allium nigrum and white giant.
      I’m in London and my neighbour doesn’t use her garden it’s overgrown.
      I have some already blooming that were planted at the same time some in the ground and some in pots.
      I was cutting trees and looked into her garden and there was what I thought would be my beautiful spring/summer display!!!
      Fingers crossed that you’re both right and they’re not mine and they are waiting to appear