1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

almost a disaster

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Dec 25, 2015.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    We all converged on my sister's house for Christmas dinner, as planned. There were too many of us to fit around the dining table, but my sister had planned for this, and erected a temporary picnictable next to the main table. My two lads and their grandma sat at this table. Dinner was all served and we were about to get stuck in when suddenly, disaster strikes.

The picnic table collapsed. The dinners proceeded swiftly to the floor as did grandma. But worse than that, the table didn't go straight down, it sort of went 45 degrees, almost crushing cl1.2 under the weight of collapsing table and falling people.

By some miracle, the table suddenly stopped falling any further, literally an inch before crushing 1.2 against the wall and floor. I was grateful for this stroke of luck, and was too busy untrapping my son to wonder how it had defied the laws of physics and stopped falling before all the weight went onto 1.2.

People rescued, we all looked on at smashed plates and dinner all over the floor, when suddenly the wreckage of the table began to move. Nobody had seen the dog go under the table. A pointy nose emerged and started the clean up, starting with a large chunk of roast beef. It was still a few minutes before I realised that the reason the table stopped falling just short of crushing 1.2 is that the poor doggy took the bulk of the weight. She was ok though. She was too concerned with helping with the clean up to worry about the small matter of a table full of people squashing her.

All was not lost though. She had enough spare food prepared for second helpings to recreate the lost dinners.

All in all, it went well. A good time was had by all.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,459
      The dog deserved its Christmas dinner. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 4
      • NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,621
        The dog sabotaged the table on porpoise, to get their dinners. Clever doggy :biggrin:. I am glad the doggy saved 1.2 :dbgrtmb: and all was ok.

• Like Like x 2
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Blimey :phew:

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,028
            And after all that ........... I bet you all had a very very Merry Christmas.... thank goodness.... and the dog is sleeping soundly
            :reindeer lights::reindeer lights::merry christmas::reindeer lights::reindeer lights:

• Like Like x 4
            • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,435
              Oh my goodness what a drama! I'm pleased everyone was ok :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 2