1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aloe not happy

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by nikirushka, Apr 25, 2015.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    My friend's got an aloe vera, about 10" across. It's not a happy bunny!

Some of the leaves are turning brown, and to me, it feels softer than I think it should (I may be wrong). She's followed the care instructions she could find - decent sun but not too much, watering infrequently. It started out in a sunnier spot than it's in now (indoors on windowsills) and that's where it started going brown so she moved it, but it hasn't helped.

She's not repotted it, it's in about a 4" pot. Any thoughts as to how to help it? Thanks.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    How much water, how often, does it stand in the water that runs off?

3. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    The instructions she read said 'water it a lot once then not for ages' so she's done that. When I saw it the soil was bone dry. I've already said to remove it from the decorative pot it was sat in as there was no drainage and no way to see if any water was standing, it's now on a saucer and she won't be leaving it stood in water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      They're the death knell for many a good plant I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,035
        10ins across, in a 4 in pot.
        It must be quite top heavy, I get the feeling it might just be too dry?

I hesitate to say that, as more succulents are killed by over watering than under watering, but if its now in a saucer, it should be ok.
        With warmer and brighter conditions now a drop more water would not go a miss.

• Like Like x 1
        • kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +950
          I would water mine quite often (daily probably) and it was going brown/squidgy so we stopped watering it as often, I do it once a week now and it seems to have done the trick! All normal again.