1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Amish buggy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by redstar, Aug 8, 2016.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,609
    Often on my way home I follow my good neighbor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      They got it sussed really :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,952
        :) horse power with lights, we have lots of modern tractors with trailors that have lights that don't work and they drive around at night :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          The concept of on/off switches or changing lightbulbs is beyond the grasp of a lot of west country farmers. Think a lot of them still consider electricity to be witchcraft :th scifD36:

Was nearly killed by one early one morning, he had the 2 little lights on the front of the tracker, but no lights on the 16 foot wide crop sprayer he was towing, had to nearly swerve off the road, it would have gone straight thru my cab :yikes:

• Informative Informative x 3
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,609
            often from my deck I can hear the hoofs of the horses as they make their way on the streets around my house. BTW, this particular family, his wife makes wonderful cheese cake. And on Saturdays, they offer other baked goods left over from that day at the market for a dollar . They have 5 little girls, one is my name. and a little boy. so sweet they are. Especially the one with my name, LOL.

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,952
              That what it is all about, we seem to have lost are friendy side here :scratch::th scifD36:

• Agree Agree x 3
              • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +6,953
                I watched a series on TV about the Amish a while ago,what a strange idyllic life they lead.
                I bet they don't give you any trouble Redstar .

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +10,609
                No, they keep their troubles within their "clan" as it were. I happened to hire a young Amish boy couple years ago to help with the gardens. Long story short, he turned out to be an issue with his family, causing them problems. I bumped into his Uncle, and he said, they shipped him to Arizona to get straightened up.

If you recall in the news over here, a horrid shooting in an Amish school, killing all the precious sweet children. That was no more than 20 mins from me.

Yes, they seem to keep the smile and friendliness going with us, the "white" folks.

We also are friends with and Amish man who runs an auction house, this man, is so smart, if he were in the real world he'd be a CEO in a major company. In general I found them to me very smart when it comes to making money.

Also, the gender ranking is interesting. The women has one purpose. However, the older the women gets the more her power shifts to be greater than the man. interesting.

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Like Like x 1