1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Thanks roders and pete .... pete, maybe it's because I lived near Stoke Mandeville for 25 years .... the plant is named after the British gardener and diplomat Henry Mandeville (1773-1861). :D

I forgot to mention there is another lot of them in the trough with the Portulaca .... I photographed them a couple of months ago.

Strange, they don't seem to want to climb, just trail a little ..... which is fine by me. :thumb:

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oooooh LoL, Absoloutly Fabulous :) Were still waiting for sunshine in the darkest Northeast :( BUT looking at your garden Cheers me up and I can dream Cant I :) Ahhhh....Dee...

3. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Beautiful pictures LoL :thumb:

Three weeks and Mrs Pip and I will be in the sunny med for a nine day break :) Can't wait to see all the vivid colours you have shown us in the "flesh".

All that sunshine :)

4. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wonders if LOL will take in a lodger i.e. ME :) its gorgeousssssssssssssssssss

5. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Join the queue :D :D :D

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Thank you Cutie, pip, Nutty and pip again .... you know you are all always welcome here ....

Pip, it would be lovely if you and Mrs Pip could cross the border .... we could meet halfway. :) It's warmish here now, low 30s but sometimes rising to mid/highs, but lovely cool breezy evenings. Think it will be hotter where you guys go ..... so be prepared ..... :eek:

7. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Low 30's is warmish :eek:

Would love to meet halfway but it would be up to my Bro in law as I still haven't got round to learning to drive :o

Will put it to him next time we speak.

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Hi Pip .... :)

Yes, we consider low 30s warmish .... I don't 'do' gardening over 30 .... sensible Lady that I am. :rolleyes:

Learning to drive ???? what .... learning to drive or learning to drive on mainland Europe on the other side of the road? We are 1 1/4 hours from the border and we have gone shopping in Huelva which is about 1 3/4 hours from us.

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    It's been almost two months since I posted here so I had a wander today ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the third year for these Verbena in this pot ...

[​IMG]

These Portulaca don't close in the shade ...

[​IMG]

And the first of my Cyclamen opening and they will go on for 4-6 months ...

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the dining patio ....

[​IMG]

.... and I thought I'd throw this in for fun .... the same view 11 years ago when we bought the house ...

[​IMG]

Now that you folk have some sunshine, I hope you are sending me some rain .... off now to water ....

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Thanks for those great piccies.
    What a fabulous place you have and such a transformation, I do envy you!

I was wondering do you have seasons?

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oh LoL. Its Fantastic, I echo everything JWK has said, and to see sunshine, Mmmm Beautifull, and the last pic :cl-p: You and the hub have worked very hard, Amazing :luv:
    ps, you must spend a fortune on pots :D

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Hi John and thank you. The garden is all my work, well 97% .... a Lady really shouldn't sweat as much as I did here, especially at my age .... :D

Seasons ... yes, we do but not quite the same as the UK. We are shortly coming up to our rain season (hopefully) that is from perhaps November to March should those in control choose to shower upon us. We will go through a fantastic transformation of excessive rock hard red earth to red slushy clay .... which will be a blessing.

Florawise, we enter our element in the Autumn/Winter with incredible green and colour for months and the weather is to die for .... blue skies, white puffy clouds, cooler weather (gosh we have to wear jeans). To us the winters can be 'cold' almost to ground frost .... almost .....

We DO have seasons here but they are short compared to the UK .... if we went further North we would have England all over again .... but not 300 days / 3000 hours of sunshine ....

I have the sea 20 minutes South of me and the mountains 20 minutes North of me .... I couldn't ask for anything better ....

Thank you Cutie ... hope you and Mr Dee will honour us one day .... xx :luv:

13. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    As ever, looking at your garden is such a pleasure Lady:)

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Woohoo LoL, wouldnt that be fantastic.. you never know, One Day [​IMG]

15. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I could actually feel the sun and serenity of your place seep into my bones by just looking at those pictures. Simply heavenly :)