Another Scam NHS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HarryS, Nov 12, 2021.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Just received a text, allegedly from the NHS. Apply for your Covid pass or you will incur penalties. I thought that is rather strongly worded. Had a look at the site, and my blocker app advised it was a dangerous site. So please be wary if you get a similar text.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,293
      It certainly is! There is no penalty for not applying for a Covid pass.

It's a voluntary thing and only of use if you wish to go to a venue that requires one or to travel abroad. There's no need to get one and if you do it is only valid for 30 days. Then you have to get another one. They're free online either downloaded on an app or downloaded and printed. If someone hasn't any electronic communication equipment it's available through the post but I wouldn't hold your breathe on receiving it quickly!

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Lem

Lem Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,545
        These scams are terrible and sometimes look and sound so convincing.
        Don’t do what I did though, we were being pestered by what was obviously a pension scam, we had 3 calls one day, enough is enough I said, here comes another call, wife said I bet it’s them again, I grabbed the phone , my Language was quite colourful :nonofinger: only to hear a faint voice saying my prescription was ready at the chemist. I still get embarrassed now when I visit the chemist :thud:

• Funny Funny x 6
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,559
          I have received a few asking me to update my weight and height with my GP to support Covid statistical study of BMI influence of infection rate. Once I was told by NHS I'm about to miss my window to apply for Covid passport.

I have been (in a way) quite impressed with the quality of these, good English and reasonable, non- threatening messages. If it were not for the fact that I doubt NHS is investing in mobile phones to send people text messages, I might have hesitated once or twice.

However, it is truly maddening that the scammers are targeting people who may not be so scam- savvy. Calling landline phones is likely to get you through to an older person, and in Finland one gang did door-to-door scamming by selecting people from the phone book with old fashioned first names (like Enid or Agatha, you know... unlikely to be a person under 80 years old.) That's so very cruel.

• Informative Informative x 4
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,340
            Well I cant imagine Ena Sharples falling for that kind of thing, and that Martha Longhurst was a nasty piece of stuff.
            Mind you, Minnie Coldwell would have probably fallen for it.
            :roflol::roflol::roflol:

• Funny Funny x 5
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +117,293
              Landlines now can have sophisticated monitoring systems that are free and tend to stop most scammers/cold callers. Our phones have had that for some years, to my disappointment. I used to love trying to see how long I could keep someone on the phone before they caught on that I was playing them :heehee:. I have a number of recorded calls and have typed a few of them out so I can use them as examples :whistle:.

Most of them used to be 'A problem with your internet', 'It has been reported that you have had an accident with your car and we can help you', 'You have a virus on your computer' and 'You appear to have had some fraudulent activity on your bank account'.

My longest one was 32 minutes and was great fun. The shortest was one of the bank account type where he said his name is Mick and he was from the bank fraud dept. and I said he had managed to get through to Scotland Yard Fraud Squad and that we had been keeping a check on him and he should cease immediately. He swore and put the phone down.

At that time we had three landlines (only two now) and they were obviously going down the numbers in the phone book. So some seconds later another phone rang and he just started his blurb when I said "Hello, Mick, we warned you only a moment ago to cease otherwise we shall have to take action". He slammed the phone down. I then received the same call on the third line and before he could say his name I said "Mick, you don't seem to learn. So we shall be tracking your calls for the next seven days." I can't say on here what his response was! :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 4
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,559
                I really feel for those (often young) people whose job it is to try to sell something over the phone so try to be very nice to them. It must be a hard way to earn a salary.

Door to door callers are a different matter. I just don't have time for them and it does feel just a little bit threatening to have an unknown person at the door. Charity folks are ok but as they only do direct debit nowadays I ask for a brochure to make a one-off donation when I want to. Unfortunately they don't even have those any more so a hand scribbled note on the name of the charity is the best they can do. If I provide a pen and paper that is. :noidea:

The only exception is an elderly man who comes calling once a year, selling little pins for a Pound to support something, most likely himself. He is so nice that I always buy one :)

• Like Like x 2
                • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,618
                  Same here - don't want people turning up at the door unless they are known or invited.

Mind you - no one can get to the front door anymore. There is a full height and locked gate at the entrance to the front garden - I also installed a letter flap and letter box to catch the mail. You can see into the back of the letter box - so we can see when there is mail in there.

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +84,340
                    I get sent Christmas cards with pictures on them by people who have to use their feet to do the painting.

The pictures are very good, but they ask me to send X amount of money for the cards I didn't even order.

Then it says, if you don't want the cards you are under no obligation to send them back.

So I don't, I don't use them either.

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +117,293
                      I categorise both of them as the same. I don't approve of cold calling in all its forms. If I need something then I will look for it. If they want to sell me something that I don't want - or don't think that I wanted - they can advertise in the normal way. If I'm interested thenI shall then contact them to discuss it. I consider cold calling as an invasion of my privacy.

Signed:- Grumpy Old Man :old: :heehee:

• Like Like x 2