1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another "What's Going On With My Lawn?" Thread.....

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Tiggercoco, May 16, 2016.

1. Tiggercoco

Tiggercoco Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We are in a new build on what was previous a potato field!

We have a tiny lawn and I'm starting to think I should have gone for the fake option as they seem much better today than the stuff seen in butchers shops years ago.

Anyway we had a gardener Lawn.jpg lay down some turf for us about 6 months ago, a south coast mild winter later and this is what it looks like.

I'm colourblind with green and brown but not blind enough to see it has patches and the squares haven't fully joined up yet.

What should I be doing to help it along?...I went to a garden centre and saw about 500 different lawn fertilisers and was very confused as have never had a lawn before.

Any tips please?!

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    :biggrin: The butcher shop window fake grass , that takes me back , not seen it for years.
    Not seen your lawn problem , hope one of our gurus can help :blue thumb: I reckon 75% of us on here have lawn problems , my front lawn has decided to grow very very slowly this year ,not a clue why !

3. Tiggercoco

Tiggercoco Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! only now am I seeing how many people desire the 'perfect lawn' and how complicated the whole process is with people taking soil measurements to ascertain acidity levels etc..

Whats annoying is Bellway put some turf down on the verge sections and totally ignored it, now a year later its looks lush green (I think) and beautiful.

I thought grass was grass (unless your in Amsterdam in which case its something quite different) but apparently there are different qualities of turf...my gardner has given me some rubbish I'm starting to think!

4. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    i new to this also but the thing i found that helped my grass to look good is to actually keep off it as much a possible, not very practical i know but the only time i go on mine is to mow it

5. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    When the turf was laid did you water in the turf or did it dry out causing the turf to shrink?
    It's hard to see what's what on the patches, it looks like another type of grass but a couple of photos closer to show the patches will help.