1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Sorbus experts out there?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by silu, Sep 10, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    When I moved to my current house 13 years ago I bought a Sorbus Cashmiriana and a few other varieties. About 5 years later I noticed a Sorbus seedling growing about 20 ft from The Cashmiriana. I noticed the leaves of the Sorbus seedling were slightly darker than other varieties which seems to be a trait of Cashmiriana.
    I didn't get rid of the seedling I left it to grow a bit bigger and then transplanted it to a border this year. The seedling duly flowered but I still didn't know if it was going to be Cashmiriana or not. WELL it is now berrying and yes the berries are big and white exactly like Cashmiriana. What isn't the same is that the seedling is about twice the size of the tree I bought already and yet it has to be a least say 8 or 9 years younger it is obvious that the bought tree is grafted and the seedling definitely isn't! Is it therefore that Cashmiriana isn't naturally diminutive and is grafted onto a slow growing rootstock to make it more suitable for small gardens? Who knows what size the seedling will grow to.....just as well I have a huge garden! and I'm glad I didn't just pull up and discard it. I'd be really interested if anybody could give me any knowledge they might have on what "natural" Cashmiriana trees are like.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    The book says up to 4 metres, so maybe you have a hybrid with one of the other trees.

3. silu

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Thank you @Palustris I've done a bit more homework and found out Cashmiriana does come true from seed so it looks as tho I've been lucky to have got another 1 for free! Certainly none of my other Sorbus have white berries. I don't know why bought ones are grafted tho as the seedling I have has grown quite quickly but maybe not quick enough for commercial growers. I'm going to give trying to grow my favourite Sorbus (Sargentiana) from seed after the chance success with Cashmiriana. I'll probably be pushing up daisies before any successful seedlings grow to decent sized trees but still worth giving it a go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,271
      Sorbus sargentiana is a stunning tree.
      However it will not berry until it is quite mature. ..maybe 10 years or maybe 15 if grown from seed.

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Thanks @Silver surfer. I have collected seed before the birds scoffed the lot and will attempt to grow some. Even without berries I still love the sticky buds, leaf shape and Autumn colours so worth a go. Might be pushing up Daisies before they berry tho! I am surprised that Sargentiana isn't more widely grown. Ok it is a bit bigger than many of the other Sorbus which are often planted but to me it's such a star tree. Mine (have 3 which I bought soon after moving here almost 20 years ago) are past being at the "lollipop" stage as I call it but aren't huge. They are all now producing massive bunches of bright orange/red berries and were looking fantastic in their Autumn display until yesterday's winds put paid to that.
      Unless someone had a really small garden Sargentiana would be 1 of the 1st trees I would recommend someone planting. I'd certainly plant it before the likes of Discolour, Joseph Rock or Asplenifolia for example yet it isn't widely offered in garden centres and the like.

• Silver surfer

Ratings:
      +3,271
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Well I'd never have guessed that was the reason @Silver surfer and bet you are right. To me form and leaf are so much more important and LASTING as most berries Sargentiana included, get munched by birds fairly swiftly once ripe. I had Joseph Rock in a previous garden. Immediately the berries were a descend size/nicely yellow Bull Finches stripped the lot in a day!:mute:. That said birds don't seem quite so keen on the white berries of Cashmiriana . The ones on my trees are still in situ hence worth growing too.

• Silver surfer

Ratings:
      +3,271
      If you like beautiful foliage on Sorbus..AND white berries then get more sp eg

Sorbus koehneana

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ChMI57PQi9WPyQIVi_EUCh2s9gWU&biw=1536&bih=728

Sorbus prattii.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ChMIjMOcsNWPyQIVguwUCh2aLwkg&biw=1536&bih=728

Sorbus vilmorinii...berrys change colour pink/white.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ChMIw_OR3NWPyQIVSNYUCh2D-gnu&biw=1536&bih=728

A real dwarf...Sorbus poterifolia.

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/image_files/diary/sizedSorbus poterifolia in fruit29321.jpg

There are so many wonderful ones to try.
      New ones are being introduced that are fastigiated, with glorious autumn colour and berries.

eg Sorbus Autumn Spire.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ih=728#tbm=isch&q=sorbus+autumn+spire+berries

• Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Guess you too are a Sorbus fan @Silver surfer? In my previous garden I grew about 20 different Sorbus including both Prattii and Vilmorinii. I also grew an absolute cracker called Beauty of Banff which was vastly superior to Vimorinii in both foliage and size /colour(pink) of berry.The great nursery which supplied me with my trees and had bred Beauty of Banff went bust which was very sad. A great old fashioned nursery which grew tough, unrushed, trees which were sold mostly bare rooted. All they supplied me, flourished and didn't break the bank either. I made the huge mistake of taking a trip back to my old home and saw to my horror that ALL the trees I'd planted (over 50) had been uprooted and discarded onto a sort of compost heap to make way for a football pitch for the new owners small boy. Oh well it was their property and they could do what they wanted with it. Was rather pleased tho that they sold the property about 10 years after having bought it from us for less than they paid us for it:). Autumn Spire looks amazing. You may have made me rethink that I am getting too old to plant new trees!