1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone changed their conservatory roof from glass to celotex and batons.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by vbgr, Aug 10, 2022.

1. JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    @vbgr Yes I did go to the top of the ridge. (I wanted to maintain a high ceiling) I fitted the new roof under the original lead flashing where it joined the house. We fitted new 4x2 wooden joists which supports the weight.
    The window frames are steel lined and the original frame top beam stayed in place. The 4x2 timbers created a nice space to fit celotex insulation.
    There's several ways that you can achieve a new roof and I guess the first consideration is to ensure the windows can take the weight of a new timber construction. Most modern conservatories are designed to support a ton of snow so that's a start!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      @vbgr Here is picture from above.
      It was a complex shape and that's why we opted to follow the exact model and retain the alloy roof and just add the 4x2 timber joists to give strength. You'll notice I fitted two velux type roof windows to keep things bright and airy ☺

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,002
        Adding velux windows is a wise choice @JR. My sister replaced her conservatory glass roof with solid materials and it makes not only the conservatory dull but the adjoining room.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,551
          I wished I had put at least one velux in as the plants don't grow as well as they used to. :biggrin:

It's in the summer you notice it most as in the winter the sun is coming in at a lower angle.

• Like Like x 2
          • vbgr

vbgr Gardener

Ratings:
            +142
            hi There, many thanks for all the input you are giving us. I’ve rung the wonderful company who are getting everything together for us, Southern Timber @ Newton Abbott, and they are trying to find UPVC cladding instead of the plaster board so it will be easier. We have only spent about a thousand up to press so have quite a lee way to go. May have to clad the aluminium roof support with wood as you did JR to give it strength. But have to remember the weight. V

• Like Like x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,551
              I have PVC cladding on the ceiling, I could have had plaster but my thinking was any shrinkage or movement could cause the plaster to crack.
              I also wanted it done quick.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • vbgr

vbgr Gardener

Ratings:
                +142
                I don’t know if this is a brilliant thought but, if I’m leaving the glass in and I have rather nice pale green pleated blinds inside, why don’t we just paint the celotex white on the side that is next to the glass and that’s it. Less weight and less work. I can quite understand the dorma window idea, but I’m quite used to having just a thick polystyrene up next to the glass to insulate the conservatory so I’m used to having no windows up there and it was ok with the room next to it having a window, but many thanks for bringing this to my attention.
                V

• pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,551
                When I had a polycarbonate roof I put a piece of celotex on the underside and left it in full sun the poly got red hot but you might get away with it with glass.
                I tried it out because some companies actually just do that and put the insulation on the inside and then just board it over with pvc cladding.
                I guess it works .
                Celotex is usually silver with writing all over it, not sure if it would paint well but you can try.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,002
                Painting celotex will lose some of its insulating effect, the foil is supposed to reflect the heat. It does mark very easily too so unless the installer is extremely careful and the sheets don't get knocked in transit, handling it won't look good. I had a pallet load to insulate my garage and it came stacked on a pallet, it had marks from the straps holding the bundles together.it would also need supporting and ideally covered in plasterboard which is what I did.

• Like Like x 2
                • vbgr

vbgr Gardener

Ratings:
                  +142
                  OK I’ll keep that in mind. Hopefully, when it comes I will have a brilliant idea. V

• Like Like x 1