1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know anything about Cercis grown in containers?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Delta, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all
    I've a new Cercis that's been growing well in a container since I got it in May, BUT I've noticed a lot of the leaves seem to be losing colour & I'm unsure whether this is normal given it's now Sept, or if it's missing something. It's planted in a mix of Miracle Gro, recycled compost (the stuff you get from council outlets), & some cacti soil to keep it well drained. It also errantly got a hefty feed of Green Dream bonsai feed so has been somewhat overfed perhaps.

Any ideas on whether those leaves are normal for the species or showing signs of problems??

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I dont think its something you can grow in containers long term, its basically quite a bigish tree.

But I wouldn't be too worried about the discolouration of leaves this late in the season.

3. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Pete - what I was hoping was the case with it. Believe it or not, I got it as somewhat of an experiment after encouragement from a leading bonsai forum to downsize it to bonsai, but now we've seen the leaf size & type we're not quite so sure on its potential :frown::). But i'm happy enough to just let it run its pace & see where it ends up either way. Nothing ventured nothing gained & all that:fingers crossed:. Appreciate your input on it.