1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone want chickens?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Sussexgardener, May 13, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,076
    No Ziggy, An Owl! :hehe:

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    It was just because I saw a full size owl from quite close the other day and I can tell you that it is a majestic and outstandingly beautiful creature. So I fantasize to own one.
    But then, I read that: because it is a predator, it may even go as far as beak your eyes if not handled properly, so I don't know now .... Maybe kept in a big cage...I am not rushing into it yet!
    My sister owns a peacock. That's no trouble, if it wasn't for the boat-like sound that he makes, but it is not a big deal, it is part of the excitment of owning an unusual pet.
    Hi Ziggy 0)

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blud, you ain't getting your tings.

A Owl!

Hi Flower 0)0)

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can't put a vid of Phoneshop up as i'd be instantly barred from the site, so I hope you've found your own way to the links by now, enough clues.. Innit.

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,076
    Ziggy, finally what you is saying makes sense (kind of!) - never seen it, now I have -

You are right "A Owl!" :lollol:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bet you'd thought i'd gone mad bro,

A OWL !!! :D

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,076
    Too late .... :hehe:

9. dandsdarts

dandsdarts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this helps anyone who thinks they can't keep chooks, The following act overrules any covenant or council rule.
    The Allotment Act 1950 allows anyone to keep chooks on any land, so long as they're not a nuisance or a threat to health, irrespective.

10. PinkBug

PinkBug Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You do know that owls need a large avairy you cannot keep them in a cage it is cruel? Are incredably messy, smelly and very noisey if you get an imprint? (that cute human friendly chick). If you have close nieghbours they will hate you :heehee:

BOP's (Birds of prey) are never pets and are nothing like peacocks, ducks, chickens, parrots etc. They have to be flown for hours every day come rain, shine or snow. You have to monitor their weight, feed them dead food and work them (ideally).

People regularly end up with problems such as screaming and aggression.

We currently have a Euro Eagle Owl (called Betsy) and she is kept by friends of ours on a farm on Wales (because she is too noisey, aggressive etc to be kept anywhere but right out in the sticks...and i mean right away from anything or anyone). When she is flown precautions have to be taken. She is a massive bird. She has to be the correct weight and even then the farms dogs (small terriers) have to be kept in as she will attack them.

If you are serious i suggest you book yourself onto a registered falconry course and learn everything you can. I dont mean to be harsh but i used to work at a bird sanctuary when i was younger and carried on volunteering for a long time (also doing BOP displays for the public). The amount of owls we had handed in for the reasons above and in a bad state was horrendus...usually because these were they cheapest of the BOP's.

Of course, dont take my word for it...head over to the nearest falconry forum, they will echo exactly what i have just said :thumb:

If you want a pet because its exotic/unusual then please research, research and research again! Many exotics take many months if not years of researching to keep correctly (along with needing a very healthy bank balance lol). Sorry for the long rant but its something that is very close to my heart. I have many exotics here and have kept most animals over the years (everything from reptiles, inverts, rodents, most birds, marsupials,even meercats and some primates) and we currently have a DWAL for inverts and previously for reptiles. Please if you would like any advice feel free to ask me :)

11. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [size=large]PinkBug it was very interesting to read your post and it made me realize that at present it would be a next to impossible task to keep an owl. [/size]

[size=large]Nice to know that you kept so many animals over the years and that you love them so much! See you around...[/size]

12. PinkBug

PinkBug Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your kind words :)

Im glad it made you rethink, i dont mean that to sound bad but it really can cost alot and isnt easy (and helps if you have friends with farms! :heehee:)

From personal experience i found owls one of the hardest BOP's to train aswell.

As i said previously, if there's anything else you fancy keeping and you would like some advice please feel free to ask and i will try my best to help :)