1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apartments/flats.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Retired, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

Bron and I as we age are becoming increasingly aware of our future; we started planning for retirement as soon as we married both taking out personal works pensions (final salary). At first it was a major struggle but as the years passed quietly by we then didn't even notice the pension payment deductions from our wages.

We took out a huge mortgage on our first home it being a stone built two bedroomed semi; we lived there 11 years then moved here into our detached random stone three bedroomed bungalow. This bungalow and gardens are very high maintenance indeed but we have the skills and equipment to do all the work ourselves. Because of up front planning we're pretty well off and financially secure with a very well maintained bungalow and over the last couple of years have also got on top of our gardens. If Bron succeeds me then Bron is financially secure and can downsize to a smaller easily managed detached bungalow.

In contrast; our retired lady neighbour moved in immediately next door her husband having sadly died; she had sold an even larger bungalow so seemed financially very well off. Over the last 6 years she has spent around £70,000 on her bungalow including having a one person lift installed from her garage to her bedroom at a cost of £12,000; this for when she gets older. She has gardener; bungalow cleaner; window cleaner also calls in tradespeople for the simplest of jobs even down to calling in a sparky to replace a light bulb; at one point she paid extra gardeners almost £1,000 to weed her gardens; holidays cruising the Rhine and now planning her second cruise to New York on The Queen Mary for next year. Golf all over the county too.

When she first moved in Bron and I took pity on her and started helping out doing maintenance jobs; at one point I spent a full week disposing of her old fence and erecting a new fence whilst she was attending a golf tournament; it slowly became clear we were now maintaining two bungalows; as one job was completed the next job was lined up; we did everything regarding labour totally free of charge and if I had materials to hand these too were free to her; as the years passed by we realized our own jobs were falling behind; I think it was the last straw when she drove down to the south coast to collect a vintage Singer sewing machine; back home I dragged this very heavy machine up into her front room; the machine was mounted on a fancy veneered cabinet; the cabinet of extremely poor condition; she was well aware I can not only restore furniture but make furniture from scratch; I'm well known on other forums for vintage radio repairs not only the electrics but for veneering and French polishing. Enough was enough; with the sewing machine in her front room I then became blind and deaf side stepping powerful hints regarding more jobs so now we no longer support her maintenance; we're still friends visiting each other so no problems there at all.

About three weeks ago our neighbour took us completely by surprise telling us she was selling her bungalow and intended to move into a brand new apartment? Her bungalow is currently on the market at £350,000; she's been looking at apartments costing around £220,000. We think she is being taken in by everything being brand new even down to dishwasher and washing machine totally missing that she won't any longer enjoy the freedom she enjoys here in her detached bungalow; of course the new apartment will be sound proofed?

Years ago a neighbour across the street moved into a luxury apartment and within two years she was dead. We're concerned about her because she tells us she will have lots of company around her and no worry about maintenance costs etc?

'My flat was £161,950 in 2007 – now I'm offered just £28,000'

Our friend emailed the above link to us which makes frightening reading. He also added the following comment about apartments/flats in general;

"GOD's WAITING ROOM".

No offence intended to anyone living in an apartment or flat after all it's a personal choice but in the case of our neighbour who has always lived in her own home the last two being large detached bungalows will she be making a huge mistake or will it work for her as she expects. Bron and I wish her well and will be keeping in touch if or when she moves; we're just concerned. All the lavish spending appears to have caught up with her and she should know better being a chartered accountant?

Bungalow now on the market in the worst possible weather; flat roof being replaced above the kitchen by a roofer who who arrives and departs quickly; the pictures below show just how bad things are and she thinks this roofer is wonderful. We'd have nightmares if part of our roof were like hers.

I'm just passing a bit of time rambling on due to the weather being so poor; after dinner I feel a workshop session coming on.

Kind regards, Colin.

Roof problems_0001.JPG
    Too busy playing golf in summer whilst knowing her roof was in such poor condition; she knows I replaced the roof on our bungalow but we've already done a great deal of free work for her so we're keeping out of it.

Roof problems_0001_01.JPG
    Picture taken this morning; if the wind and rain turns direction her golf will have cost her dearly; what kind of professional roofer would leave a roof so fully exposed?

Roof problems_0002.JPG

Sections of gutter blown onto our pathway by fierce wind; I've popped it back over the fence not wishing to become involved. During our 32 years living here only one neighbour has ever taken a parcel in for us but we've done lots of work for neighbours saving them a great deal of money; help should be give and take not 100% take. Enough is enough.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Retired

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,791
      Hi,

Having no sooner added the thread I receive an email from our neighbour; Bron and I are popping round at 2 o'clock to sort a small problem out for her; she has a 6' long double fluorescent fitting complete with tubes to dispose of; it won't fit into her car or her sons car and she's asked for my advice; the tubes can be very dangerous so all I'll do is wrap them into an old bed sheet and gently break them using a hammer then the sheet and tubes can be disposed of easily; as to the fitting I'll cut it with my hacksaw then fold it in half allowing it to fit into her car for disposing of. We don't mind such small jobs it's the big jobs we now avoid getting involved with.

Our local tip has a container for these tubes but I won't risk one or both breaking inside our car during transit.

It's a terrible day weather wise; it's just put a shower of hail down.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        Hi,

Well not sure we agree with your idea if one of you goes the other can move to a smaller bungalow.
        You have your house and gardens as you want them and assume you are happy with your general neighbours and location, so moving on ones own to a new place does not sound a good plan to us.

We would prefer to ensure our house was in full order that would then outlast us and plan for the gardens to be progressively turned over to grass , gravel or similar that needs little maintenance as our abilities decrease.

If you need physical help with household matters it does not matter if you are in your existing home or a smaller place.
        Like the garden, its easy enough to close down any unused rooms and stay in a home you feel familiar with and safe in rather than moving elswhere and all the chaos thats bound to cause.

From the story of your neighbour, think she has taken advantage of your goodwill, a mistake we have similarly made in the past and with the immediate neightbours being younger than us we cannot fall into that trap so easily.

We can fully understand and agree in part with your thoughts about flats etc, but thats her decision and as you say she has close familiy around her, so would avoid creating any tension by just wishing her well in her new home .

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,039
          I'm just wondering what kind of car a 6 ft long fluorescent tube and fitting wont fit into:scratch::biggrin:
          A funny Smart car maybe?

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Retired

Retired.
            Ratings:
            +5,791
            Hi,

Thanks ricky. :thumbsup: I understand what you mean about reducing maintenance to the minimum and we've already done this; the problem living here is we're on a very steep valley side subjected to extremes of weather; our bungalow needs constant maintenance as does our neighbours and as I stated our neighbour has already spent around £70,000 on her bungalow; it still needs a new roof and full pointing job but living on her own it's simply much too big and she can no longer cope even with lots of help; this year our gardens like others have gone ballistic; I've already felled and disposed of lots of our trees including two 80' tall conifers and brought many laurels down to 3' tall from 30' tall but next year they'll be shooting up again; the work is never ending and the design of our bungalow adds to maintenance costs; the weather really attacks the bungalow but it's not so obvious unless living here; Bron doesn't drive and public transport isn't an option so it would be taxis. I've also removed an 80' long conifer hedge and a 40' long mixed hedge; my 20" petrol chainsaw sees lots of use as does our Bosch shredder. we've still got plenty of trees including two big oak.

Grass is a nightmare here and I've got rid of lots of it because of the steepness of the site. Dragging the mower to the top of the mountain then having the strength to start it is a great workout. This year I created a wild flower meadow replacing lots of grass and the flowers were stunning.

Having physical problems certainly does matter whether in a large or smaller bungalow because a smaller bungalow costs a lot less to maintain and heat etc; we currently have two detached bungalows for sale on the street simply because the owners cannot cope. We're not complaining in any way because we accepted the site when we bought the bungalow but we knew perhaps some day we would eventually down size; our neighbours across the street down sized just over a year ago. I'm now 72 and still able bodied so can still cope but it's surprising how much time and effort is needed each year to keep on top of the bungalow and gardens.

Bron and I have a Skoda Yeti pete and yes the tubes and fitting would fit in but there were three tubes; these tubes are extremely fragile. We popped round to our neighbour as arranged and it took only a few minutes to sort the job out; we wrapped all three tubes into an old bed sheet then I let our neighbour just tap one with an hammer; she jumped back in shock by the suddenness of how they went bang; a single tap with the hammer and all three broke; we then went along tapping with the hammer which then allowed us to roll up the sheet and dispose of it; it worked a treat without a single shard of glass escaping; as to the fitting I did two cuts at half way with my hacksaw then folded it over now it will fit into her car.

We would never interfere with our neighbours choice as to where she wishes to live or the type of home she desires; we'll be keeping in touch with her when she moves.

Kind regards, Colin.

New fence_0001.JPG
            The new fence I installed for our neighbour taking a week due to all the cutting back involved.

No grass_001.JPG
            The top of our mountain getting rid of grass to create a wild flower meadow.

Our meadow_001.JPG
            The new wild flower meadow starting to bloom it looked absolutely gorgeous.

Rear garden_0001.JPG

Looking down to the bungalow.

Rear garden_0008.JPG
            We still have lots of big trees and lots of big maintenance; it's too much for one person to cope with especially a lady on her own; the gardens are hard work then of course is the bungalow battered by severe weather. We love living here but it comes at a high cost.

• Like Like x 3
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,204
              Hi,

Are you sure you are not up by the Holme Moss transmitter ?? didn't think your location was anything unsual ?? surely a brick and tile house as yours seems to be should withstand our Yorkshire weather ?
              The only thing that would be a problem is the flat roof bits, a regular leak area if not repaired correctly, but nothing a good builder could not put right with the modern materials around these days.

However your large garden does look a challege.

What does stand out to us from what you have said, is that you do not see remaining there is going to give you the long term peace you want, so surely now is the time you should move while you are still reasonably fit and well and able to withstand all the pressures and problems of moving, doing it later and possibly on your own would very hard.

You do have some time on your side so should be able to organise it at a pace to suit you though sounds like you may have to under cut the other sellers.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Retired

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +5,791
                Hi,

Thanks ricky; no we don't live up near Holme Moss Transmitter but we do suffer similar weather here on our side of the valley; the opposite side of the valley to us is more shielded; I used to have a problem at work when we would be snowed in at home whereas others got to work without problems; at times we've had to wait for our neighbour to dig us out with his JCB.

Bron and I have looked at bungalows for sale on the web but it's such a boring job; many look ideal but the pictures don't show the factory or transport company next door as we've seen after going to have a look. We might end up remaining here because all around us are low life with shootings and stabbings being a regular occurrence; we've lived with a low life family next door to us for the last 32 years; the sons well known to the police for beatings; drugs; burglary and car theft but this is a desirable area of Huddersfield?

Generally our neighbours are good and would be there for us in an emergency as we would be for them; moving as you say though is highly stressful at any age and we're very much aware the clock is ticking now we're pensioners.

One thing is certain; we would never ever move into an apartment or flat; we can easily afford a smaller or even same size detached bungalow but it wouldn't be on a steep valley side; even a big garden turned over to grass is easily maintained; I could enjoy riding around on a mower and doing a bit of pottering; it's rather funny here; we've taken visitors to the top of our rear garden and every one of them has struggled catching their breath; I usually say next time try it whilst dragging the mower or rotavator up with you.

Last year I made a new front porch and installed it to block out lots of bad weather; I sit here at my desk very near the original front door; I've often felt the icy blast coming through the keyhole even with the key in place; the porch has made a huge difference. I dug out tons of wet clay by shovel in order to remove nine steps up to the bungalow; I then installed a 42' long pathway allowing easy access to our rear door; I also dug out tons of wet clay to the rear of the bungalow aligning with the new pathway and I also added a patio all in order to to make life easier for us; we've worked on our bungalow from foul drains right up to the chimney pot; the steepness of our site is definitely our biggest problem.

Kind regards, Colin.

Home_0001.JPG
                Fully exposed to valley; lots of woodwork finished in expensive Benjamin Moore paint; neighbours have installed plastic but we don't want a Lego home preferring wood; the window frames are original softwood at over 50 years old; I replaced the sealed units about five years ago; the cladding is 18mm thick WBP plywood completely sealed with paint.

Home_0002.JPG
                A dusting of snow. Across the street the valley drops down to Penistone Road.

Home_0003.JPG
                We gave our bungalow interior a comprehensive makeover about 3 years ago; here's our front room nearing completion.

Home_0004..JPG

Tons of wet clay dug out by shovel; 42' long pathway installed together with low retaining wall and new bespoke fence with handrail. Hard graft but apart from work on gas we do the lot ourselves. If the site wasn't so steep and exposed we would never even consider leaving because we love our bungalow.

• Like Like x 3
                • Creative Creative x 1
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                  Ratings:
                  +54,374
                  Hmmm it is a bit of a dilemma this getting older thing isn't it.
                  We've been in our house 38 years and
                  love it, hubs virtually rebuilt it from a tiny 3 bed. farm workers cottage to our present 6 bed version. He even designed and drew up all the plans and built it during the weekends with a builder friend. Hubs isn't a builder.

We live in a very rural setting too which is great...at the moment. However I do think that it will be too much for one when sadly the dreaded time comes. I don't want to sell up and hubs definitely doesn't either as he knows every inch of our property and put many hours......years into building it.

But..... ????:noidea:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Retired

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,791
                    Hi,

Well said Upsy; yes but....??? we too :dunno:

About a year ago we had resin drive reps visiting us wanting to apply resin to our concrete drive because a neighbour had just had a resin drive laid; I politely said when our drive will be replaced it will be another concrete drive; as usual they tried to convince us but finally departed without an order from us. This morning a pick up and two guys appeared at our neighbours and they're working on the resin drive? These bungalows are very high maintenance indeed but we stick with old tried methods that have been proved to work over many years. Because we do all the work ourselves we can afford best materials.

It's possible many people live in apartments/flats and are very happy it comes down to personal choice; Bron lived in a rented flat before I met her and she hated it never ever wishing to live in another. I'm just curious as to whether any members do live in an apartment or flat and can share their experiences? One couple we knew years ago retired and moved into a log cabin near Ripon it being detached on a site of such cabins; we do like log cabins.

If we do move it will be into a detached true bungalow with decent sized gardens and a double garage or room for a double garage; I'm not moving anywhere I can't have a workshop. It won't have a conservatory nor will it be adorned with roof solar panels; if only we could duplicate our bungalow but on a level site. :scratch:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                      Ratings:
                      +5,368
                      Apart from two smaller points, this is like reading about us… Those points are that we have only lived in this house for coming up to thirty years, and that if any skills were needed, (such as building) I've learned them.

As @Retired says, do the work yourself, and the correct materials for the job can be afforded. The job can also be done to to ones satisfaction.

@Upsydaisy, what you wrote about getting older is spot on. Over the past few weeks, I've done quite a lot of heavy work on this house, and I'm feeling it. Its slowly dawning on me that the time to move is approaching. The big problem is, where to go? A flat would never suit me, and neither would neighbours...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Retired

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,791
                        Hi,

A few years ago I noticed on the web a very nice detached bungalow situated in its own grounds it being a very level site grassed with hedges; the location was Cottingham; our best friends live in Cottingham so I sent the details by email and they had a nosy on our behalf.

The bungalow and grounds were as advertised and would have been perfect for us but out of camera shot there was an adjoining haulage company with a big fleet of juggernauts; we've seen similar bungalows next to pubs or stores and even next to farmyards where the description stated open country views; not mentioned were milking time or muck spreading etc; we don't think we can get better than we've already got because our bungalow and gardens tick just about every box; my real concern is my lovely wife Bron should she survive me; Bron doesn't drive and isn't in the least interested in computers; our neighbours tend to keep to themselves so Bron would be isolated; we have very few friends because over the years we've come to trust animals more than people.

Old peoples homes are now a thing of the past being replaced by care homes at great expense; I dread the thought of ending up in such a place without my freedom to take Bron out or to enjoy working in our gardens or on the bungalow; being without all my toys in the workshop would be a torture to me; as long as I've still got Bron I know I'm OK but we can't ignore the fact we're aging.

Like you Sandy I've also noticed I'm slowing down; no more working flat out day and night; a couple of heavy hours up our mountain and I'm more than ready for a mug of tea. Over the last few years I've worked weather permitting around home planning to spend time in my well equipped workshop during winter but it's not working to plan; this morning for example I did the shopping and was home by 7:30; by 9 o'clock we were at our post office then up to the petrol station then over to The Range in Barnsley back home it was fast approaching dinner time; dinner was late because we'd been out but now sitting here I know by the time I get changed and into the workshop the daylight will rapidly fail so I can't be bothered; when I was younger I'd have got cracking only knocking off for tea time then working till say 9pm; all the heavy jobs are now done around home so Bron and I can take things easier; tomorrow I plan a day in the workshop; a full day makes it worthwhile putting the heating on but this afternoon putting the heating on for an hour isn't worth it. I suppose it's a way of telling us to slow down after a lifetime of grafting. I do a lot more work during our poor summer but at least the temperature climbs into double figures although then I have Blackie to contend with and lots of soakings from him putting rain down in large amounts; it will be dark here in an hour even though it's very sunny at the moment.

I'm interested how other pensioners handle their retirement and how many have actually headed into apartments more to the point are they happy? We wish our neighbour well if she does move into an apartment but it wouldn't be a choice we would ever consider.

August 2018 was my last big job on the bungalow when I designed; made and installed our new front porch as seen below; because of daylight I could put a full days grafting in and enjoyed it; once we get some decent daylight again then I'll be busy and intend to be busy until my health finally fails slowing me to a standstill.

Kind regards, Colin. (72 going on 5).

New porch_0001.JPG
                        New front porch section ready for installing; working on my own I had to move this all the way up the side; round the back; down the other side and across the decking; I'm a mechanical engineer so moving heavy items isn't a problem; I attached a wheel to a corner and wheeled it round; lifting it and aligning it was rather harder; it didn't bother me the neighbours watching my every move even though I've done lots of free work for them; I plan every stage breaking it down allowing me to get on with it without outside help; I want to do the work up to my standard.

New porch_0001_01.JPG
                        My home made 4hp saw bench earned its keep.

New porch_0002.JPG
                        Here's the new porch installed; I also made the decking; railings; cladding and years ago we even replaced the entire roof; as Upsy says about her hubby I too know just about every stone.

New porch_0002_01.JPG
                        New side frames assembled.

New porch_0004.JPG
                        It's a joy to play with my toys in the workshop and over the years doing the work ourselves has saved us a fortune.

New porch_0005.JPG

Porch framework installed ready for door and glazing.

New porch_0006.JPG
                        I erected the decking steelwork; the decking is scaffolding boards and the metal railings I welded up.

New porch_0007.JPG
                        Dark tinted Pilkington glass adds an elegant finish; all the timber is common softwood bought locally at a timber yard and I machined it in the workshop; the painted panels are WBP plywood "V" grooved using a router as is the 18mm thick cladding. Paint is expensive Benjamin Moore from Shaw Paints the importers.

New porch_0008.JPG

New porch floor fully tiled drying out after grouting. I'm sure all this hard work keeps me fit and active but I wish our summers weren't so short then I could do so much more. To live in and apartment/flat unable to carry on like this with my DIY and hobbies I'm sure would be the end of me. How do people in apartments spend their time especially during our nine month long winters?

• Like Like x 3
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +54,374
                          Agree , @Sandy Ground that jobs do become harder. When hubs and our friend built our house it was decided ( not by me!) that to keep it in line with other houses (5) that are scattered along our lane we had to have wooden window frames ( some have since changed theirs now!) .Hubs has his own scaffolding thankfully and coped well at painting 23 windows and staining 3 double patio doors regularly ...and still does but I sometimes think that his head thinks he's
                          a lot younger that his 72yrs...and that worries me very much.
                          We are thinking seriously about buying a smaller property and renting it out, then when the time comes to downsize we will have it waiting for us.

I must just say that an Aunt of mine moved into an apartment within a larger 'care' establishment. It was lovely! She chose a ground floor one that had patio doors that opened up onto a beautiful well maintained landscaped gardens ,she even had her own patio where she was able to have a table and chairs plus tubs that enabled her to still grow flowers. There was a beautiful river that flowed through through the ground too. :)

• Like Like x 3
                          • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,368
                            @Retired how did you join the side frames? With just screws or using screws and M&T's?

@Upsydaisy your hubs sounds a bit like me...only two weeks ago, I changed 12 windows here to triple glazing, then followed that by removing an old floor and laying a new one on the upstairs landing. This is me slowing down! :)

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +4,204
                              Hi Retired,

I always try to be very careful what info I give out via online forums etc, I never give my real name, exact location, or birthday etc as there are too many unpleasant folk around.

May I repectfully suggest you remove from your above posts the reference to the main road you mentioned, remove or scrub out your house number from the photos and perhaps change your profile Location to W.Yorks.

Better safe than sorry !

• Agree Agree x 2
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +54,374
                                Where to go indeed , we live with only one set of neighbours nearby ..and we love it! Not that we're not friendly, we are! We have family and friends nearby..but I don't drive ( well I did but witnessed a fatal accident many years ago ) at the moment I have no problem walking to all nearby places, family and friends if I feel it unnecessary to ask hubs for a lift ( nice day fancy a walk...fine) but if I was on my own...hmmm, I wouldn't fancy walking along an unlit ,no pavement lane to reach a some distance away bus stop!

Needs serious thought I feel.

• Like Like x 2
                                • Agree Agree x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1