1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree looks like it's dying

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Steve1972, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Steve1972

Steve1972 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi this is my first post and just joined. Have a problem with my apple tree. I moved to the house 3 years ago. The tree I believe was newly planted about a year or so previously. It's pretty big and tall about 15 feet. It us located to the right hand side of the garden next to bushes and shrubs. The sun shines from the right so had sunlight all day. It has always blossomed beautifully and Bourne lots of apples each year. I have never pruned it and watered it sporadically. This year i don't think it blossomed or if it did very meagrely. There are very few leaves and they are yellow and shrivelled and dying. There are very small apples the size of cherries and the are going red. The tree looks like it is dying. I took some branches to a garden centre and he cut them and said they are alive and not dying as they were green underneath. The only thing I did this year that I have never done is used tomorite earlier this year. I am very concerned. I used to find it to gave to puck up all the fruit that used to fall and mess up the lawn now I am wishing for the same problem and pray my tree is not dying. Please help anyone.

Attached Files:

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
    I doubt the tomorite was to blame. I am inclined to agree with you that it's dying. Probably best to remove it and start again with a young tree elsewhere. It's not obvious what is killing it but it could be honey fungus. I would have thought, given it's size that it was planted more than 4 or 5 years ago.