1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree - new branches

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Steve R, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I remember seeing somewhere (either TV or net) that by cutting a notch either just above or below a bud on the trees main trunk...you could encourage that bud to break and so get a branch where you want it.

Does anyone know iif it's above or below?

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      At the apple growing course I attended the advice was a horizontal cut with a knife above a bud to encourage it to sprout (and below a shoot to slow it down).

But I thought the technique demonstrated was more like rolling a sharp knife blade around part of the stem to cut through the bark rather than cutting a notch.

• Like Like x 2
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        Thank you, yes it was a cut and not a notch...I'm getting confused with attaching branches from other trees/varieties, I've been reading too much on Google looking for my answer before posting here.

Thanks again!

Steve...:)

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +6,953
        :) Interesting,yes I saw this and have a Pear tree that could do with this process.What time of yearwould be the right time do you think?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997