1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are glyphosate-treated plant roots reliably dead?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mickle muckle, May 3, 2020.

1. Mickle muckle

Mickle muckle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My new place has a teeny tiny town garden entirely occupied by vigorous green alkanet. I've had this before it was a recurring nightmare, so I sprayed it with glyphosate a month ago and it has completely died back.

I'm now making a 6ft x 3ft raised bed for veggies, but I can't get hold of compost/topsoil in the coronavirus lockdown without a car. So I was wondering if it would be safe to use some of my garden soil. It looks like good stuff, but I really don't want to bring in living fragments of alkanet root in case they take over the bed.

Does anyone know if roots can survive glyphosate treatment?

Of course, I could (and may) plant direct to the soil, but there's a steep slope and I am hoping to landscape later this year.

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    I believe its works roots die first which cause the top to wilt and die. Some troublesome plants do need a second treatment or if its knot weed a one to 3 year treatment if not more. I don't come across Alkanet so couldn't say if it need another treatment.

3. Mickle muckle

Mickle muckle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank-you! Alkanet is related to borage and comfrey, with little blue flowers.