1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are my chickens safe with Arum Italicum?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by babafang, May 3, 2012.

1. babafang

babafang Apprentice Gardener

Graphic Designer
    Ratings:
    +5
    We have 4 chickens, they are young and yet laying, and have started exploring the garden.
    We've got an Arum Italicum (or Lords & Ladies) growing, a goods ways away from them, but they are really exploring far and wide, and I am worried about them pecking at it?
    I know it's poisonous for humans, I've read that Blackbirds love to eat the berries when red, but are chickens safe with them?
    I've popped a patio planter over top of it, but it's got really big this year! (I only discovered it last year and it was through this forum that I discovered what it was!!)
    Many thanks!!!!!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Chickens wont eat things that are bad for them, except cellotex:doh:

I believe its just the roots that have too much starch in them for us to eat, i'll have a look up about the berries.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no, they have got some pretty nasty stuff in the leaves & berries too, aroine, saponin, cyanogenetic glycosides & oxylates.

Probably won't taste that good with that lot in. I've had chickens for a long time, and Arum lillies in the same garden, never noticed them being eaten though.

• Like Like x 1
    • babafang

Graphic Designer
      Ratings:
      +5
      Ah thanks! Had them less than a week, I've become a bit of a mother hen myself!

• Like Like x 1
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,986
        Well, we have lots of Arums and had lots of hens and never a problem.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It's like Rhubarb.....said to be a big:nonofinger: and yet my lasses have made a right meal out of mine.....thankfully with no ill effects:dbgrtmb::chicken:

• babafang

Graphic Designer
        Ratings:
        +5
        ah thank you! they are really inquisitive and been investigating everything - right now, I'm inside, and they are all at patio door, pecking their beaks on the window and having a right good look inside! I might dig up the Arum anyway - although my little girl is very sensible and knows the dangers (I don't her she could die if she ate it - or didn't wash her hands if she touched it, but just not to touch it anyway...shock tactics they may seem, BUT it's important she knows)..... so she's ok, but what if we have other children over, little ones even, that won't know...?
        Thank you all! Chickens are just mad and great :-)

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0