1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are some people stupid

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
  2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    How very sad...Please God forbid these things to happen.

The owners ought to next on the Vet's list!

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    It was the baby's grandparent, poor mite had heart surgery recently, you can never trust a dog 100%

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    In answer o your question-yes, some people are stupid

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Too many people are stupid. We need to remember that dogs, while usually placid, are in fact a predator with all the instincts and temperament that goes with that. While I seriously hope people learn from this horrible tragedy, I wouldn't like to criticise anyone involved because I'm sure they are being tortured enough by the knowledge of what happened. This isn't something that people will get over. This is something that family will have to live with for the rest of their lives. I really feel for them.

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with clueless, the grandmother is distraught, how many of us have left our pet dogs with children in the same room, even for just a few minutes, I Have...

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    Yes, People there are some people that are stupid. I have only sympathy for that baby. The grandmother she can be distraught forever. I am sure this will put a huge division in the family that may not ever come down. Bet this grandmother did other dumb things. People generally don't just do one stupid thing in life,
    usually there is a trail of stupid decisions.

8. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Trial by media.

We don't know that the granny did other dumb things or not. I'm sure she did, in the same way we all do dumb things from time to time. We know only what the media reports. We don't know the full story so we shouldn't pass judgment on a family that will be absolutely devastated.

When ruling that the granny was stupid, please bearing in mind the following two quotes. There is one for christians, and one for everybody, take your pick:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

To be honest, I think we should be very careful with this thread. Even if folks have no sympathy for the granny, I don't think the mum and dad would really want their tragedy to be discussed and judged on a public internet forum.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Clueless, I do understand exactly what you mean with "he who is without sin", but that I`m afraid excuses everyone`s sins and if you follow that train of thought all the way we`d get nowhere.

Stupid isn`t a crime though, it`s just stupid. And I`m afraid she is guilty of stupid.

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I don`t think she was stupid, just irresponsible. You DO NOT leave a 3month old baby in a room with dogs at all. And especially not with terriers. I truly hope the woman gets prosecuted.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Well after over half a lifetime in education I'd say that some folk are stupid if you regard stupidity as lack of imagination and the ability to think 'what if'. Some of the most 'stupid' parents I ever came across were accountants and lawyers with the latter leading the field by a significant margin. 'Stupidity' has no correlation to social 'class'.

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Maybe I worded it wrong, is "stupidity" just lack of knowledge, if so maybe David is right with irresponsible.

I think I know my dog pretty well, I trust my dog totally with ME, nobody else, just ME.
    Because we have an understanding, we know who is boss.

Now how my dog reacts with kids is very different, so I always keep a close eye on her when young kids are around.
    Two dogs are another matter, one will follow the other, and seeing what my dog does to squeeky toys would mean that no way would I leave her alone with a baby.

Its not the dogs fault, its not the babies fault, who does that leave?

The responsible adult?

13. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Partner and I have a Jack Russell whom I 'Rescued' 7 years ago and before my Partner moved in, but WHENEVER our 6-month-old Grandson comes over, the dog is put in a seperate room out of the way. We will NOT face the risk of anything like this happening. I have NO idea what our dog went through with previous owners, apart from some obvious abuse, so not even prepared to risk anything happening to our Grandson, or any other youngster come to that.

Prevention is Better than cure.

14. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Yes, I agree. My point is though it is very likely that many here will have, at some point, made a mistake that had the potential to cost lives. I wonder how many drivers have fiddled with the CD player while moving along, or pulled out of a junction without noticing something or someone coming. I've done both of those things at least once, and luckily nothing became of it either time, but it could have. This woman made a mistake that tragically cost a life, that doesn't make her a bad person, it just means that she didn't get away with her particular stupid mistake.

Sadly true. But again, I doubt if there is anybody here that hasn't made a stupid mistake at least once in their lives that could have turned into a tragedy.

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Many times Clueless, many times-at least myself that is. I nearly lost my daughter to choking-MY stupidity in giving an 8mth old baby a jaffa cake and then going to get her her drink from the kitchen leaving her for long enough for her to wedge the whole thing in her throat-10 seconds in total, it was the most shocking few minutes of my life, instinct kicked it thank God and I dealt with, and there but for the grace of God go I.