1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these Cosmos seedlings ok?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by kriss, Mar 11, 2020.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    BCB22F01-AB1D-4BAA-8423-ED9A9309FEAE.jpeg I planted these seeds rather early and have neglected them a little. Do you think the crooked ones will be ok? They all seem a lot more leggy that last years batch.

I might grow some more but wonder if these ones are perfectly ok!

Some are bent 90 degrees to the side and the 90 degrees up again!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Just really leggy due to lack of light, the kind of plant that likes really good light levels.
    Will be OK if you can cool them down and give more light.

Personally I'd go for a sowing next month.:smile:

3. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    No, they are too leggy, its the heat from the radiator, and the light from the window, which is one side, so the seedlings are growing towards the light, it also looks like you are using a multi purpose compost, with too many nutrients, these combined factors, make the young plants stretch.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      Would it be crazy to put these in the summer house and start again? A few might perish but it will weed out the strong ones.

I haven’t changed much from previous years, I think I just started then a few weeks too early. Late jan!!!

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      I would replant some more seed, but dont waste these plants, if they are well rooted, and you can keep them frost free in a nice light area, find a large enough pot, and plant these plants deep, plant them so the soil comes up to a inch from the top growth, the lower set of leaves will become roots, the plant will continue to grow, and flower, nobody will know, except you, me, and the members of this forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
        +79
      • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
        +79
        So I potted some on, but over the last 3 weeks they haven’t changed much!!! I would say that they look the same as the last 2 years batches which ended up looking amazing, turning into huge plants that flowered all summer.

Will low temps harm these? I’d like to move them to the summer house or possibly sow some in the ground. Will the majority be ruined as it’s too early?

I also have lots of corn flower seedlings that germinated and are an inch tall. Can these be potted on and left outside so I can start another batch indoors?

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
        +79
        I also have nigella thats set seed where I grew it last year. So does that mean nigella is one I can sow indoors, then plant our right away once it germinates?
        I have so many seeds I’m keen to get some outside so I can start growing more!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        need to be frost free, but that normally means "minimum 10C" because temperatures lower than that usually cause "stall" on plants, and they take ages to recover (ie.. they go into "shutdown" to survive the cold, and assume more cold nights coming, so don't start up again until they are sure the problem has gone away. No idea if Cosmos behave like that, but if you can maintain minimum 10C I am sure that would be best. (Even if you have to bring them in, on cold nights, to Garage/Shed/Utility room. They certainly don't need any light overnight!

May onwards, when it is warming up. They will be a long way behind the indoor-raised ones (and both of them will flower until frost, so indoor-raised is better if you have space :)

Nigella is hardy, but if you sow indoors you need to harden off before subjecting to outdoor conditions (drying wind and cold temperatures)

At this time of the year I grow mine in the smallest module-cells / containers that I can get away with to maximise plants-per-unit-area