1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

are you prepared for flooding?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by miraflores, Nov 22, 2012.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    fresh from the environment agency, here is the list...
    Prepare a flood kit:
    • Important documents - such as passport and insurance certificates. Some documents are expensive to replace. Having these in your kit will keep them safe and to hand.
    • Torch - in case it floods at night and your power is affected.
    • Radio - a wind-up or battery radio will help you monitor local news and weather broadcasts for the latest flooding situation.
    • Batteries - have spare batteries available to power your torch or radio.
    • Blankets :snooze: or warm clothing - it may be cold and you could be without power for some time.
    • First aid kit - keep a first aid kit to hand in case of minor injuries. Put any prescription medication in your kit so that you have easy access to it.
    • Bottled water :coffee: - flood water can contain sewage, chemicals and animal waste. Drinking bottle water will keep you hydrated and make sure your water hasn't been contaminated by the flood water.
    • Tinned food :eeew: - you don't know how long the flood will last. Have tinned and non-perishable food available for you to eat.
    • Personal items - some items are irreplaceable. Put items of personal value such as photos, family videos or treasured mementos in your flood kit so that they are safe.
    • Mobile phone - keep a fully charged mobile with you so that you can contact people in an emergency or call for help. If your phone has Internet access you can use it to check on the latest flood situation.
    • Waterproof clothing - keep wellies and rubber gloves available should you need to enter the flood water.
    In a flood, you won't have time to find these essential items so it's important to prepare in advance.

Register to receive flood warnings
    https://fwd.environment-agency.gov.uk/app/olr/home

last but not least:
    What should I do when it floods? http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31632.aspx

• Like Like x 5
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Although the River Weaver is not all that far from me I'm not in a flood plain and also around a 100' above it, plus there is a old Roman Sand Quarry on the other side of the side of the road to me which would fill up first, while hopefully the rest would head down hill. I do think it is a good idea in any case to keep an emergency kit as you describe Java.:snork:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      • Plenty of beer/cider
      • Dry roasted peanuts or crisps

• Like Like x 3
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,511
        If you're going to have tinned food in that kit you'll need a tin opener!

It doesn't say where you should keep it or what you should keep it in. Although it sounds a good idea I'm not sure they have thought it through properly. It seems as though they suggest making up a kit. Then you would have to keep this somewhere accessible and out of reach of floods.

So, for example, you put your photos, family videos, mementos etc somewhere safe. In a house I suppose this means upstairs. Are you really going to keep all the things they suggest, upstairs? Including your wellies!

The suggested list is a lot of things to store away. I know someone who still has bags of sugar and a couple of tins of powdered egg stored away - from the war and rationing period!!!

The article does make you aware of what you might need and you should know where you keep them. Also, that you shouldn't keep them at low level where they can be affected by the flood before you can grab them.

• Like Like x 2
        • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,615
          I think my house is more likely to blow away than flood at the moment - but I do have a stash of the big 5L water bottles just in case something nasty gets into the drinking water.. thats not too paranoid is it ?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Not at all, you can go without most things for a while, but you can't go long without a drink. Ask Armandii:snork:

• Like Like x 5
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,511
            Paranoids, you can get something from the chemist for that!! :heehee: No, sorry, they're arsesteroids!

No it's not paranoid. Just make sure they're above the high water line. They may be sealed and secure from contamination but if they're in the Ess Aitch One Tee so will you be!
            You won't have any clean water to wash them off with before opening them.

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I'm on a hill, but my father-in-law saw a heron on my plot yesterday afternoon.

Always worth having few of thosed stashed as you can use them as demijohns for homebrew when they're empty.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Yes, Ziggy's right I keep a store of bottles for any emergency and as a certain little man said when offered water with his Whiskey "When I drink Whiskey I drink Whiskey, and when I drink Water I drink Water"..............anyone got an idea what film that's from??, while I open a bottle of "Water":heehee:

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,511
              Yes. It was Victor McLaglan in "The Quiet Man".

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Well, done that man:thumbsup::snork: ........pour yourself a drink, Shiney [of Water or Whiskey, but not mixed together:nonofinger:]. The "Quiet Man" was, to me, an outstanding film and you couldn't help but keep smiling after watching it, a feel good film.:snork:

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,511
              An excellent feel good film but not too sure about Maureen O'Hara's over emphasised (American) Irish accent :heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I think all can be forgiven as she was a lovely looking lass and a lot of things were spoofed gently in the film, including the proposed fight between the train driver and Station Master, plus the advice about getting to Innerslea........."You want to go to Innerslea?? Do you see that road over there? Well, don't take that, it doesn't go there". You just had to grin!!!:heehee:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              This one?

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                That's the one, Ziggy, and although it was made in 1952 it's still a great film. And actually I slipped up when I said Shiney was right about Victor Mclagen being the man in the film who said "When I drink Whiskey I drink Whiskey and when I drink Water I drink water" in disgust at being offered water to mix with his Whiskey. It was in fact Barry Fitzgerald playing the part of Michaleen Oge Flynn [The Match Maker].....silly me:doh::snork: