1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Asda Tree's

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Seen some other topic here mention asda fruit trees.

I seen some today, conference pear and sunburst cherry trees. about 60-70cm tall, only £9, whih is pretty cheap in NI al be it quite small. They seemed to have bee chopped to that size as some branches were clearly taller. Leaves are starting to show too.

Anyone any experience or should I look about something bigger?

2. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Bought the conference pear about 2 weeks ago, planted up in a 55cm pot and it leaves are just uncurling. A day or 2 after buying I was looking at the branches, some are quite thick and I wondered if it had been cut that short to be a "patio" tree too.
    Didn't bother looking at the rest as I bought a bare root morello cherry and james grieve apple also from asda a few months ago, cherry is in the ground, leaf buds just opening but the Apple leaf buds are only just fattening up and that's in a 55 cm pot.. not much help but I've bought them and all seems fine so far :fingers crossed:

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have bought two trees from Asda . An Olive standard which is stunning and a Salix Flamingo standard which is stunning + ! They seem to get a pallet container of the plants , put it store frontside , and when they are gone they are gone . Very good quality and really good price .
    I am sure you will not be disappointed with your fruit trees .:blue thumb:

4. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Im going to try them. I think they have been cut down to keep them small. Wonder though as being conference will they not grow full size? obviously restricted they wouldnt but might plant out into open ground then

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I must admit the dwarf fruit trees look tempting. But the memory is still clear of that nectarine tree which I had planted few years ago, (not from Asda though) positioned it in a quite open area in the garden (that was maybe the problem) and, then, it simply wilthered away.