1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ash Dieback

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Phil A, Jan 14, 2015.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,622
    My local council has a habit of chopping mature trees off at about 20ft in height.
    So you see lots of trunks cut straight across at 20ft, looks awful and often they slowly die after that.

So is disease the real problem, or health and safety.

At Least the disease is natural, health and safety aint.

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Agree with what you say Pete, about what the trees look like post surgery. Plane trees end up looking like severe afflictions of arthritis.
    Since the use of a sealant, I think it was called Arbrex or similar. I have noticed many Sycamore and black Poplar that have been cut are rotting away fast. Perhaps our friend, Harmony Arb can enlighten us.

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      And then they can justify removing them completely. There would be protests if healthy full trees were removed in one go.

Wasnt it sheffield council who removed hundreds of heathy trees recently for no sane reason.

edit, 110,000 trees felled in the last 3 years across UK councils apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,622
        To me, local councils/ health and safety, are more of a risk to the tree population than any disease we have imported.
        They never plant proper trees anymore, mostly just flowering cherries that look good for a week in spring or just shrubby stuff that can be removed without much trouble when they want.

Just look at the stuff they plant along motorways and state they have planted thousands of "trees".:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        I think one of the problems is the best course of action regarding ash dieback is unknown. This is a relatively new problem and nobody really knows what will happen or what to do about it. From what I’ve read the progress of the disease is fast in young trees but slow in mature trees. And it seems a few don’t get it at all. As regards felling I can’t see that woodland trees will be all felled at once. Imagine the habitat destruction and the environmental impact. I live within sight of mature ash woodland and can see the progress of the disease on the big trees. It’s very sad but I’ve yet to see a dead big one.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        The shrubbery/plastic catchers :heehee: along the roadsides do a wonderful job. It allows the public to dump their junk out of their windows knowing the countryside will prevent it being blown into their beloved oceans.
        All we need now is for sky tv to start a save our roadside campaign....:thinking:

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          I am a Tree Guardian for The Tree Council and they have found that old trees that have been pollarded over many years are not succumbing to it if they keep them pollarded, but it doesn’t help the many many other Ash trees not pollarded. They now have a plan as much as they can as it is still an unknown threat to our trees.. Not sure if any of you have seen the plan from the Tree Council here

We have an historic Mainly Oak and Ash woodland here and also all around our village and in a few years the area will look very different from the loss of the trees..

I do remember what the devastation of Dutch Elm disease did to our countryside :mad:

• Like Like x 1
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Interesting info from the Tree Council but it applicable to "non-woodland trees". Most ash is growing in private woodlands. It will of course as you say look very different from the loss of trees.

I am worried about the Rookery in the ash wood I see from my house.

• Agree Agree x 1