asiatic lily problems

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by earlydaze, Apr 29, 2024.

1. earlydaze

earlydaze Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hello all- I picked up some Asiatic Lilies from the bargain desk at the DIY shop- foliage looking great but all the little buds (pea sized) have dried up and are falling off-- I am assuming it dried out at some point. My question is will new buds form this year or is that it? thanks

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,759
    I think thats it for this year...could be wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +1,990
      Those may have been new bulbils forming, which are basically seed pods, but that's a slow process for cultivating new plants. Where are the buds- are they between the leaves and the main stem, or were they the actual flower buds?
      If you can feed the plant a few times while the foliage dies back, that will help build up the main bulb for next year though. Easier if they're in pots, to keep an eye on them :smile:

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +618
      The peas you have found are seed capsules if they are in the leaf joints. Flower buds form in the tip of the stem. Once a flower head has formed that is it until next year.

Watch out for lily beetles. They just LURV lilies. They are attractive scarlet and black elongated beetles if you have not come across them before. They poop all over the leaves and chew the stems. They are crafty as well, as soon as they feel any movement they tuck their legs in and because they are shiny and slippery it is really difficult to get hold of them to pick them off and jump on. They fall onto the soil on their backs playing dead. I put my left hand close to the stem below where they are lurking before trying to get hole of them.

• earlydaze

earlydaze Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Thank you both- they were indeed seed capsules

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,759
      That's a good result then