Avocado trees

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Surfer, Jun 28, 2023.

1. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    We have two avocado trees in large pots and every winter we have brought them into the conservatory, but now as they are about 7 years old and almost 2m high, we have aged in the meantime and are struggling to bring them in every winter.

We are now at a stage that we are unsure what to do with them whether to give them away or left them take their chances outside, but we coming from Africa we hate to see any plants die. We cannot plant them outside as more than likely they will die that that means digging them up again. Not sure if a botanical place would take them in?

Any suggestions please?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +90,024
    I have over the years had lots of tender plants that I have grown mainly from seed, and they all seem to reach that point where you can't accommodate them any longer.

Ive not really tried to get them new homes just planted them out for their last summer and then the demise the following winter.
    I gave away a pretty large Beaucarnea a couple of years ago and the person who took it turned up, said hello shoved it in the back of their van and drove off, never heard any thing from them again.
    I'd been growing it for nearly 40yrs and thought I might have got some feedback, they probably sold it to someone who planted it out and wondered why it died.
    Good luck if you can find someone who cares.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,380
      Just wondering it you could cut them back so that they fit inside better. I cut ours right back not knowing if it was a wise move or not but it's fine....smaller but fine.:biggrin:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,991
      Depending whether different levels i.e. steps are involved, what about repotting them into half-barrels on wheels? All my citrus trees and a fair few tender shrubs and trees are grown in them so they can be wheeled under cover for the winter, then wheeled out onto the terrace once frosts have finished. Sorry I can't advise as to the availability or otherwise of suitable planters in UK, but it might be worth a look in local garden centres?