1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Baby fish

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Snorky85, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi there, just a couple of thoughts.
    Assuming the aquatics fella carried out tests for ammonia and nitrite, it's still possible that there's a certain level of pollution of the water. This can be caused by rotting vegetation and un-eaten food. Definitely get it cleaned out, especially the bottom. Regular partial water changes are also important, 10% a week during the summer months is the norm. Try to make sure there's no un-eaten food left in the pond, food should be eaten after around 5-10 minutes, so anything left over is wasted and will probably end up as sludge. I always tried to feed a little and often. Another thing, how often are you cleaning out the filter? During the summer months this needs to be done regularly, around every two weeks is quite common. A pic of the inside of the filter would be helpful :thumbsup:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,649
    I've never kept Koi, only goldfish, so might be talking rubbish.
    As far as I know, Koi are fish, a kind of carp, carp survive pretty well, I've seen oversized ones in tiny ponds where they have out grown their surroundings.
    Also, I think the only reason Koi ponds are kept spotless is so you can see the fish, Koi will do well in normal conditions, the fact that they grow very large fairly fast is the main reason why you need to keep the artificial environment running full blast.

There is a nursery near me that has Koi living fairly normally, often the water is green, and they have just a large pipe returning water to the pond from a filter.
    I dont think oxygenating plants should be a problem, as they do produce extra oxygen during the day, I've never believed the old tale that they remove oxygen at night, if so, they would be bad for any pond.
    Any fish that I have had over the years that has trouble swimming normally usually dies in the end, it can take months sometimes.
    I agree its probably a swim bladder problem, if its on its side, if it looks normal its probably sunbathing.

3. JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,239
    Green water is great for Koi, it's murky water caused by detritus in the pond that's a problem, It's well documented that Oxygenating plants reverse oxygen production during the hours of darkness, it's not a problem if your pond is balanced & not overstocked.

4. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Thanks @Freddy @pete the aquatics centre have actually been great. Given a couple of hours worth advice over the last month and have even offered to visit the pond. I cant find a pic of the filter but they said it was a really good one suitable for the pond size. We replaced the uv bulb. When they sowed us how to set the filter up they showed us how to change the flow of water passing the uv bulb and we found it was only set up at about 50% so have massively increased it. Also done a 20% water change and said we should start to notice a difference in a few days due to the quality of filter/bulb weve got.

The fish who acts odd only seems to be resting oddly-it then swims off normally and feeds fine. The fish scoff the food really quickly-they know their feeding time! [emoji1]

Think we'll be looking at a pond vac to get it cleaned up then keep on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Oh snd we were cleaning the filter every day-we still check everyday but since the bulbs been replaced and set up properly there hasn't been much to clean
    out. They also tested the water sample we took and said it was fine (not sure of the exact details)

6. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Mucky/green water in itself isn't the issue, but what's causing it might be. Have you given the filter a good clean? Do you know what media is inside the filter? As I said, cleaning needs to be done on a regular basis

7. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Apologies, you answered as I was responding.

8. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Yep-the husbands had the filter apart and scrubbed it all clean. We've even had those pond bombs in it. I think the whole pond wants cleaning

9. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Ok, i probably need quite a bit more info to be able to advise further. Basically, I need to know what system you are running. Firstly, is the pump in the pond? Is there just one pipe out of the pond and one pipe in? Is the U/V integral with the filter? I'm a bit concerned that you say since you fitted a new U/V strip and changed the flow, the filter hasn't really needed cleaning. If anything, it should need more cleaning as the U/V does it's thing. Just so you know, the U/V works by mutating the algae so that it forms into clumps, which in turn become large enough to be captured by the filter. Hence, more cleaning required, at least for a short while. As I said, green water (algae) isn't a problem, but if you've diverted water away from the main part of the filter, then the filter won't do it's job.
    Btw, no need to clean it every day, but when doing so, always use pond water to rinse. Also, every time you add water to the pond, you will need to add a dechlorinator at the appropriate rate.
    Hope this helps :thumbsup:

10. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    My apologies, that might be a bit much to digest, so could you tell me how you changed the flow?

11. JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,239
    In your photo you have a pipe coming from the pond & a return pipe plus a separate return via the waterfall does all of the water pass through the filter ?
    We really need to know the size of the pond.

12. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Yep pond water was used to clean the filter and we used the dechlorinator as advised when doing the water changes. The uv bulb filter was change a couple of weeks ago but after going back to the aquatics place they advised on how to sort out the flow issue-that was only a couple of days ago. I haven't got any pics on my phone of the filter and I'm up at my mums house this weekend. But, there is a big box outside the pond and a pump in the pond with a couple of hoses. The uv bulb is in the big box. I'll try get some pics and post them.

13. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    I'll have to ask my husband about the flow changing tomorrow as he had done it after talking to the aquatics man. My husbands very techy so unlikely he's set it up wrong following instructions (i hope lol)

14. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    I'll post tomorrow on size etc [emoji4]

15. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings: