1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Geranium pants - What did I do to them (by accident!) please?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Barders, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    Hello All,

Geraniums are the first things I have grown from seed and I thought I was doing OK.

I 'potted on' my first set of seeds about a month ago, and was leaving them in the summerhouse at night but I will be honest, I did leave them out during the day in the sunshine, thinking that would help them grow.

But some of the leaves turned very pale, brown around the edges and almost dusty. I stopped putting then out during the day and leave them in the green plastic little greenhouse all the time, but they don't seem to have grown any bigger, nor grown any new leaves.

Did I damage them leaving them out please? If so, is there anything I can do to help them (I feel SO BAD :frown:).

Or should I have brought them back into the house when I put them in pots for longer, before putting them in the summerhouse/greenhouse please?

My next lot are ready to be potted on and I don't want to make the same mistake with them, as I love Geraniums:spinning:

Thank you. :)

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,505
    Baby Geranium pants? Is that a typo or what you think of them?:biggrin: I think with many seedlings, what they don’t like are big temperature swings, alongside direct sunlight. Try to put them somewhere that eliminates this, and see how they go :thumbsup:

3. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    ha, ha, you're right Freddie, they are my babies :heehee:
    Right perfect, thank you, I will bring them back into the house again for a while.
    I would like to put them in plant pots outside eventually when I should I start 'hardening them off' please?
    Thanks again :dbgrtmb:

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,505
    I would wait until they’re a decent size (maybe 4”?) before considering moving them on. I wouldn’t over worry about hardening them off, as overnight temperatures shouldn’t be an issue when you move them. Another point, keep them on the dry side, they won’t appreciate being kept sodden. Out of interest, what size pot are they in at the moment?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
      +153
      Arh....:whistle: I think I probably overwater everything, so will rein that back as well as keeping them in a more constant temperature until they are bigger.

Thank you again Freddy, really helpful :love30: