1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Badly pruned apple tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Tmuk, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hi Graham B. I'm sure we have met before. Yes my friend. Disinfecting. Fruit trees are so suceptible to infection. To be honest. I still come to grips with why the horticultural/aborcultral industry stopped using methods of sealing cut wounds to trees, either fruit or street lined. Never mind.

In this instance. Our friend has this aged apple tree, etc etc. This is just me. Please bare with me. OK, wowee! an apple tree in the garden. Researching the subject. Fruit trees in general really do call for a lot of attention. So, spraying etc. Ye gods, how am I going to get to the top of that tree?? Then come harvest time. OK a sudden glut of fruit, we can't eat it all straight away, so we need to store it. Strange but true. Whose the cherry on the cake. In this case the the top apple. This beauty along with others is out of reach, so, lets wait. Wowee the fruit has landed. OK a bit battered and bruised. Store it for later. You must be joking. That dreaded human life threatening disease CANCER is a killer. The apple and pear brusing has been likened to this. Mr Meercat says.....simplals. You can't store rotten apples. So grow trees etc that can give you what you want.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,255
    From looking at the photos it shows that the tree has been left to grow much too much. If it produces apples, and I don't see why not, then most of them will be out of reach. The idea is to keep the tree cut reasonably low so that you can pick them.

It needs some drastic pruning, apple trees are pretty tough, and it's difficult to explain how much to take off. Looking at your first picture I would be inclined to remove everything above a shallow arc drawn at a height that appears, from the angle of the photographer's view, to cut through the top of the top windows in the house behind. Not actually at the height of those windows but at the level of a line drawn on that photo.

As Graham B says, it will then produce lots of little shoots from the remaining length of the branches. Wait until they have grown six inches or so. Then you will need to thin those out and you start by removing a high proportion of those pointing in to the centre of the tree as they will only get in the way of each other.

In the old days they said you should always seal off the cuts on the thicker branches to prevent disease getting in (products you can buy to paint on the cuts) but nowadays, especially with apple trees, they say it is not the thing to do. I only do it on plum trees.

Sorry to disagree with you @Mike Allen :noidea: :) but I stopped using Arbrex on apples twenty years ago and my almost 100 year old apple trees are no worse for it. I still use it for heavy pruning on summer pruned fruit trees. :blue thumb:

This is a good time of year to prune apples. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      As I understand it, the theory goes that you're sealing the bugs in, not out. Having read up on what the industry do, I've now got a cheap plant mister which I fill with very dilute Jeyes fluid. I spray the cut area liberally, and use it to wash saws. Since I started doing that, all my cuts have healed cleanly.

Oh, and how to get up the tree? Well if you've kept the branches trimmed and they've matured a bit, the answer is easy - send a small child up there! Once they discover tree climbing, the problem is getting them to come down! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,255
        I use the one that we have to clean the chimney :whistle: :old: :loll:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,657
        It's been pollarded in winter in the last 2-4 years and left to regrow. It needs a summer prune to thin a few branches and reduce the height/length of the remainder. Just FYI winter pruning results in strong regrowth and summer pruning is for shaping as a rule (stone fruit is different and should be done in summer).

The pruned branches will create fruiting spurs so more apples next year and there is no need to disinfect anything unless you're been using the tool for cutting diseased stuff prior.

From the look of it you might get away with an extendable pruner but a set of steps and a pruning saw might be best. If harvesting higher apples then get yourself an apple picker :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Tmuk

Tmuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +6
          Wow, thanks for all the advice! I'm agonising over whether to just chop it down or give it a damn good prune. It certainly produces plenty of apples at the moment, far more than we could ever need. Whatever I end up doing I'll update you all anyway. Have a good weekend!

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,255
          There's never too much! :) We cook all ours and put them in the freezer - a few hundred pounds so far. I picked another 20lb this afternoon. Not many left now.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          No call for apologies etc. We comment upon what we have experienced. Best wishes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1