1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bareroot boxus hedge

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Ggg, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Ggg

Ggg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, new to this site and forum . Iv wanted a hedge around my front garden for a few years now so at the end of November Iv planted 13 meters in total bareroot boxus . I followed all instructions Iv found on internet , dug a trench , dug soil over , mixed compost , added bone meal , gave them a good water . After a few weeks I decided to add steaks to help protect them through the winter and keep them straight . My question is ,
    what else do I have to do to help them establish?
    Do the roots grow during the winter ?
    Is there anything I can do to give them a helping hand to make sure they settle ok and stay healthy when growing season starts ?
    Iv searched internet and all I find is how to plant them , there’s nothing on post planting aftercare in the first 6 months of planting bareroot boxus apart from to ensure good watering .
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Gregg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,050
    I think you have summed it up.
    Its winter now so really not much happening, come spring , if its dry, water well once a week rather than every day and sit back and wait.
    Start clipping when it is slightly lower than the eventual height you want.

And as you did the initial ground preparation there shouldn't be any problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Ggg

Ggg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      That’s great thanks Pete . I was just worried that there might be something I’m missing . So do the roots not grow at all during the winter ? thanks

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      Well there can be root growth in winter, that is why its best to get them in late autumn if bare root as the ground is still warm and the roots can start to grow.
      I'm thinking not much will be happening root or growth wise for the next three months.

After that other than watering in dry spells you should be able to leave them alone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        Hi, Are they the new variety that is resident to box blight ... 3 new varieties just on the market

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Ggg

Ggg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi , not too sure they are a new variety. I bought them from buxus.eu. When I was searching for them the reviews of this place were great and they were a good price. They are advertised as buxus Buxus sempervirens. sorry I didn’t know there was many different types. Iv read about box blight and I’m just hoping that I manage to steer clear of it, is there anything I can do to help prevent this ?
          Thanks

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,322
          lots of sunshine and never crowded in works well ....

• Like Like x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,976
            I know this isnt box blight but the box moth can be a real problem.
            I have used this on my box hedging in my back garden. I planted it 3ish yesrs ago from tiny bare root plants I bought on ebay for £1 each. It was recommended to me by a plant buyer for a big nursery.

So far no problems, even though we have had some awful caterpillars on some shrubs/euonymus in the garden.:fingers crossed:

TopBuxus XenTari Against Boxwood Caterpillars or Box Blight.

• Like Like x 1
            • Ggg

Ggg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +0
              Hi snorky
              I’ll definitely look at this stuff . How’s yours growing in after 3 years ? Starting to look good and fill in properly?

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,976
              The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted 100 at 5 plants per meter. I'm really pleased so far. I've pruned them so they get bushier. I'm anticipating by the end of next year I think they will be what I want.

another good product to use is humic acid feed. This is what I use and it has worked wonders in my garden.
              POWHumus Soil Conditioner Buy UK. Concentrated Humic Acid

• Like Like x 1