1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Howie, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Howie

Howie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a golden barrel cactus, It's about 16" diameter, I've had it about 2 years and have noticed some white spots on it ,also where the spikes join the cactus it is turning brown plus it is turning pale yellow instead of its green colour. can you help

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Howie & Welcome..
    [​IMG] Could you post a photo of the cacti.? It would be easier to see the problem & give you an answer.. [​IMG]

3. Howie

Ratings:
    +0
    how do you post a photo

4. Howie

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    You have obviously done it all right at the photo bucket end.. Right click your mouse on the url code under your picture in photobucket & click copy.. Then... Start your reply by clicking "fullreply"...
    When you are ready to insert the picture in your text .. Click on "image" In the list below, under Instant Ubb code.....
    When the box pops up click in the text box delete the http bit already in there, then right click your mouse & paste your photobucket code in there Then click ok.. Then preview, & you should get this.. " [​IMG]

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hope the garbled instructions help.. Somewhere though on the site there is a section on posting photos but can't find it at the moment.. I expect somebody will find it fot you..
    I would say you either have a nutrient problem, which could be caused by the soil or just tired compost if you haven't fed it at all.. Or if you have re-potted did you use cacti type compost.. ie. fairly gritty & free draining..?? Or a watering or light problem.. There are one or two experts on here who will probably be around later who might have a better idea... ;) :D

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would guess that is has been over watered and kept too dark. Cacti need sharp drainage and sunshine

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I think Hornbeam is right Howie.
    That kind of cactus needs strong sunshine, does it live in the house and on that desk?
    It should in the very least be on a sunny window sill, very little if any water at this time of the year and a repot in April or May perhaps, when you can give it a little more water.
    Cant make out the white spots but they could be mealy bugs.

9. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would go for mealy bug for white spots. Now can't you wipe them with something that gets through the waxy coat and poisons them? Does anyone know what it is that you can use?
    Where have you kept it? My cactus are kept in a conservatory that is pretty cool in winter and they are kept bone dry. No watering unbtil things warm up in spring....and full light.

10. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like mealy bug. I was told to use methylated spirit on a cotton bud. Haven't tried it yet as I was not sure about it, so when I see any I just use a damp cotton bud to wipe them off.
    You can buy a mealy bug killer (Provado do it) if you don't mind using chemicals.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Meths is the method of old gf, I've never tried it either.
    Come to that I've never had mealy bugs on anything.

12. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if they do much damage.You get them mainly on cacti and succulents grown under glass I think.It looks like little bits of cotton wool, and inside is a little bug that goes orange when you squidge it. [​IMG]