1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bay Tree Dead?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by zippyants, Apr 25, 2011.

1. zippyants

zippyants Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All!

I would be very greatful for any help you can give. My Boyfriend was given a Bay Tree some time ago by his parents and since then his father has passed on. I would love to help revive the tree if possible as I think such a special gift means so much to him. I have atttached a picture of the tree. The branches are still flexible but brittle in places and the once gorgeous leaves are now brown.

Thank you si much for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & Welcome Zippyants.

Not looking good from the pic, a bay tree should have green leaves all year. Been a bad winter.

Saying that, if its still flexible then there is still a chance. My fig tree looked dead after the previous winter but got new leaves in august.

Keep it watered & in a sheltered sunny spot & we'll keep em crossed for you.

3. bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +313
    i think i`d be inclined to weed and repot the bay as well

4. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i would definitely repot it - tease out the roots a bit and hope for the best

Loopy lou

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Zippy.. That does look very sad & sorry for itself doesn't it.. I would follow all the good advice you have been given & hope that it will revive.. Keep it well watered after re-potting, but don't leave it sitting in water... I think I would also prune back the last 3" or so on the longer branches to make it a little more compact & a nice shape.. I have my fingers crossed for you too.. :WINK1: BTW have moved this thread to the tree section.. :WINK1:

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,902
    Hi Zippypants give it the old scrape test,just lightly scrape a little bit of the bark ,if its green underneath you will be OK, and then repot it,using either John Innes No 2/or 3,I have limited knowledge of Bay trees,but i have seen them looking as yours does and they have come back after 6 to 9 months,please make sure that you have very good drainage at the bottom and then you cannot over water it,as the water will run out of the bottom of the pot.:)

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Mine looks just like that, only it's 20 feet high and in a half barrel tub (so I can't pot up).
    I've been giving it liquid feeds to encourage it + plenty of water (as it's only rained 3 times here in the last 8 weeks).

About a week ago the first green shoot appeared and now there's dozens, but whole branches appear to be completey dead.

8. zippyants

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

Thanks all for your replies,

I will try what you have suggested and fingers crossed!

9. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Green shoots!

[​IMG]

When it snows I often wonder if it's best to leave it on the bay tree or knock it off before it freezes into a great lump of ice. When it snowed in December I knocked the snow off with a broom before it went solid.

Was that the right thing to do?

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Hmmm, this could have been my problem too. My bay tree in a pot has a couple of branches that look dead. Must have been the prolonged cold and heavy snow sitting on it for weeks during the winter.

11. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    I also have a Bay tree like that. It is planted in the ground about 10 foot tall and all leaves are brown and dry. I will be giving it a good trim shortly and hope that it will revive.

Trevor

12. zippyants

Ratings:
    +0
    Well...........I have re-potted the tree and followed all advice on here.....it will be my first "real" gardening moment and hopefully not my last!

I've never had a garden before and my boyfriend has always been a little hesitant at letting me loose on his.....for good reason I think.....and so he now has a bay tree repotted, his bird bath has been re-positioned and I even mowed the lawn........although lawn now resembles a crop circle ha ha.

Will keep this forum as my "bible" as I try and take over his garden some more :)

13. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Update - my sad looking bay (described in posts #7 & 9 over page) now has new shoots opening/bursting out all over it, including places where there haven't been any for years! Only the very lowest set of branches are showing no sign of life - yet, but it's looking as if it's actually going to end up looker better than before that freezing winter.

• Like Like x 1