1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bearded iris

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by scooby-mas, Oct 29, 2010.

1. scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi sheal there not dwarf....

• Like Like x 1
    • scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
      Ratings:
      +31
      Noisette I asked this question b4 about moving them and splitting the rhizomes up, and to be honest it worried me in case thy died on me... The reason is it was planted in memory of my grandmother passing away... But I have found a little tutorial showing how to do it.... So if and once the flowers have died... If you don't mind with a bit of help I will have a go at splitting them..... It worried me as someone told me to just lift them with a Fork and split them by putting a spade thru em...

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,363
      :yikes: I can see why you wouldn't want any harm to come to them, scooby! It's really easy to ease the rhizomes apart and you needn't worry about root loss because they make strong new roots once they're replanted in nice fluffy soil. Just give us a shout when they're ready:) (If they don't flower, then July/August is a good time to divide them too).

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,363
      • Like Like x 1
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        Oooo cayeux iris I sent for a catalogue from them years ago sooo many gorgeous iris, my list was so long I just couldn't choose :hate-shocked: and never did order any, I'll look at your link haven't looked since then :dbgrtmb:
        You know I haven't smelt the yellow one but I will today, the one that really sticks in my mind for scent is 'Jane Philips' have that planted beside my swingseat.
        We need a thread for iris pictures now they're about to start flowering, or we could just put them on here to drool over if scooby-mas doesn't mind :biggrin:,

• scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
        Ratings:
        +31
        I don't mind at all, I going to look at the link above to, get me another... Mind due mine is huge I think so once I split it I might have t buy any lol...

• Like Like x 1
        • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          You'll just want them all scooby-mas :snork:
          I'm off to have a look in a minute as another was nearly open yesterday, picture later if it is :)
          I know what you mean about loads of plants I have several to split this year or next and heaven knows what I'll do with them all.
          noisette47 the yellow one does have a scent not really strong a lemony/citrus very nice :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          If I had a penny for every time I've done that ... :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
            Ratings:
            +31
            Just an update, the iris has buds coming thru... I'm so delighted... Looking forward to it flowering now...

• Like Like x 1
            • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,318
              That's great news scooby-mas look forward to the pictures :biggrin:
              This lovely dwarf iris opened today this ones called 'Captive Sun'
              DSCF1306.JPG

• Like Like x 2
              • scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
                Ratings:
                +31
                Looks amazing... Do all iris have to have full sun?

• noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,363
                Hello again:) Just been on a 800km round day trip to Tours, tantalisingly close to the Cayeux nursery but perhaps just as well we didn't have time to detour.
                Re scented iris, my original yellow was some sort of species, rather than a hybrid, with the most incredible scent. It seems to stand more moisture than most others. If 'Jane Phillips' is a plain, pale blue then I've got that too and yes, it's even better for perfume! I'll check out the postage rates and if they're not exorbitant, we could perhaps organise a swap for later in the summer?
                I'm pretty sure that iris flower better in sun. It's just requirements for the level of moisture in the soil that varies once you get into ensatas, laevigatas etc...

• Like Like x 1
                • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,318
                  Oh crikey you must be kn******d, well very tired :heehee: hope you had a nice day.
                  Yes Jane Philips is a pale blue seems to flower much longer than others I have to.
                  Great idea about the swap I'm in :dbgrtmb: , I know the postage rates have changed recently I sell on ebay now and again (daylilies) which don't weigh to much bare root but now it goes on size of parcel too, still trying to get my head around it :rolleyespink:
                  Do you grow any ensatas noisette?, I have some seedlings I've grown from the RHS seed scheme, is it true that they need ericaceous soil to grow well?, the seedlings seem to be growing well at the moment in just normal potting compost but just wondered about when its time to plant them out, I'm on heavy clay so will I need to grow them in pots.

• noisette47

Ratings:
                  +14,363
                  I kept my ensatas going in pots for 3 years..they were dragged out the UK pond as they were, in their baskets, and kept in shallow water. No special treatment at all! Then they were planted in the border..they didn't like that! Too hot and dry. Now they're installed in the new pond, in ordinary soil, and they're doing well. They're perhaps a bit deeper in the water than is ideal, but I'll see how the flowering is this year and might raise them up on blocks. In theory, clay soil is good, moisture retentive etc, but the trouble is that it dries to concrete in summer. If you've got a pond, put them in that, with their toes just in the water:)

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,318
                    Thanks for that :dbgrtmb:, I've read so many different things about their treatment, grow in pond in summer take out in winter or they'll rot, do well in borders as long as kept moist in summer, specific soil requirements :rolleyespink: nice to talk to someone who's grown them :), I do have a pond so when they're big enough I'll do as you suggest :), I know it'll be a year or two but can't wait to see what colours I get.